Homesteaders

Pics
If your not great at building you can buy a pre made raised bed but they are kind of high. My advice is however find a buddy that is good with building trade them eggs to show you how to do it. Your not going to be happy with just one..... Just ask my husband
wink.png
seriously though a power drill, a handsaw, a tape measure and a hammer are a girls best friend! If you try to build one and you don't get it " perfect" then it has character and you will feel proud that YOU made it . You can also repurpose old dressers to make raised beds. Pull out the drawers and cut out the dividers drill holes in the bottom ( aka the back ) or cut it off completely. I actually love those because I do have clay soil and have trouble growing root vegetables. I love the deep ones for carrots.

I would also look into a few fruit trees (not sure how big your yard is ?) but most fruit trees don't mind wet feet.
I was planning on going to the hardware store for cinder blocks to build a raised bed-but not now that you gave me the dresser idea!!! Thank you so much for a great and FREE idea!
bow.gif

No problem but you might want to do a base of cinder blocks though considering your ground is so wet it will just keep the dresser from setting on the wet ground and make it last longer but look around see if you can find something cheap old bricks natural rocks in your area ;) good luck I'm off to bottle feed a goat!

No problem but you might want to do a base of cinder blocks though considering your ground is so wet it will just keep the dresser from setting on the wet ground and make it last longer but look around see if you can find something cheap old bricks natural rocks in your area ;) good luck I'm off to bottle feed a goat!

When we were researching building our chicken coop it was mentioned to put a roofing shingle between the cinder blocks and the wood. Cinder blocks absorb the moisture of the ground and will retain it. The moisture travels up the cinder block and can come in contact with the wood. Just a thought for you to consider ;). HTH.

That's a good idea. When we built our coop, I had a piece of 2x10 pressure treated laying around, so I cut it into 4 equal lengths and put that between the cinder blocks and the untreated wood where it meets the blocks at the 4 corners. If you have nothing else, even a good plastic garbage bag folded a few times will help. The weight of the coop will keep it in place on the blocks.

We're building some more raised gardens today to get compost, leaves, grass and chicken poop in before it snows. Just stopped by the computer after lunch.

Last edited:
I was planning on going to the hardware store for cinder blocks to build a raised bed-but not now that you gave me the dresser idea!!! Thank you so much for a great and FREE idea!
bow.gif

Perhaps you should check for freebies on Craigslist first. It's a great place to score free windows, doors and other materials. I've seen blocks offered here and I might have gotten them if I had truck.

Saw one article of one couple who build there garden shed with different doors and a green house of old windows. You may need to be patient store a few things though.

Last edited:
That's a good idea. When we built our coop, I had a piece of 2x10 pressure treated laying around, so I cut it into 4 equal lengths and put that between the cinder blocks and the untreated wood where it meets the blocks at the 4 corners. If you have nothing else, even a good plastic garbage bag folded a few times will help. The weight of the coop will keep it in place on the blocks.

We bought treated wood and found that it wasn't rated for ground contact. I thought all pressure treated wood was but found out the hard way!

Perhaps you should check for freebies on Craigslist first. It's a great place to score free windows, doors and other materials. I've seen blocks offered here and I might have gotten them if I had truck.

Saw one article of one couple who build there garden shed with different doors and a green house of old windows. You may need to be patient store a few things though.
I have but unfortunately I live quite a bit away from town
sad.png
and I don't have a truck

Last edited:
Sorry RancherHicks remind me tomorrow to post about sweet potatoes!!! Cocoa our goat is having some health issues so 24 hour job here fingers crossed she gets better soon!!

That's a good idea. When we built our coop, I had a piece of 2x10 pressure treated laying around, so I cut it into 4 equal lengths and put that between the cinder blocks and the untreated wood where it meets the blocks at the 4 corners. If you have nothing else, even a good plastic garbage bag folded a few times will help. The weight of the coop will keep it in place on the blocks.

We're building some more raised gardens today to get compost, leaves, grass and chicken poop in before it snows. Just stopped by the computer after lunch.

I like to use one bed for composting all the years junk from the garden. Fill up the bed and just leave it. I also dump all my mowing leaves and stuff in there too if I want or use it to mulch around trees. Though if the chickens get to it they scratch it all over.

I do have the two compost bins built but the yards so big they fill up fast.

Now I will offer this. If you plant herbs, DO NOT let the flower. Even if you don't use them cut them back. I've got mint and lemon balm all over the place. My Thai basil grew in another bed instead of the one I originally planted it in. I have to read up on drying herbs. One plant goes a long way.

Back
Top Bottom