Homesteaders

You can get Heirloom seeds from MyPatriotSupply.

Their prices are a bit steep. Check out out smaller seed companies that have a non GMO pledge. They sell many heirloom seeds for a fraction of the cost. You have to take into account things like : what do I like to eat? It's great having seeds for heirloom broccoli if you can't stand the stuff!
roll.png
Just web surf, you will find plenty of companies that put out smaller amounts of seed, enough for a family. When you get more comfortable with growing your own, you can start seed saving, which is a huge savings on the seasons ahead.
Rancher is spot on when he says try raised beds, they are much easier to manage and protect. My neighbor has had great success with straw bale gardening, this too, is very simple with the added benefit of supplying broken down compost at the end of the season.
As mentioned, your local library will be a great source of info about many of the questions you have, attack it one item at a time.
thumbsup.gif

Thank you. I had never heard of Heirloom Seeds until I saw them on My Patriot Supply. We tried the raised beds last year and this year, but neither of us have green thumbs. Also, our soil was very depleted. We spent more on trying to get something to grow, then we would have spent on just stocking up from the grocery store. I really did want fresh veggies, though, so I will look into this other method you suggested. Thank you for your info.

Try Johnny's Seeds. They do have an online store, too. Employee owned, *excellent* service, fast delivery and a large variety of heirloom & organic. Nope, I don't work for them or know anyone who does - but I do buy a lot of seed!

So I got a little over excited making my planter boxes for the garden next year this weekend. After fighting with the wasps at the old chicken house(it is a huge 2 story building that is big enough to live in, no joke) and having the wasps drive me to the west side of the building, I got a few more boards off till I deemed the building's twist too much of a risk for my kids that were playing in a mix of the shade from the walnut tree and the chicken house. So I brought the boards up using the boys' wagon, with the oldest sitting on the boards to hold the 10' board down. Got them all cut, and started the strawberry boxes made from the boards between the studs in the wall and some of the shorter siding boards. Brought the strawberry boxes home, along with some extra boards that I planned on making into more boxes. The hanging planter that I made is from a pedestal table; when I found out it was an old table I got so excited I thought there was 3 more, but it was a pedestal. Got the plastic put inside 1 strawberry box, and the planter, then I got soaked from the kids in the pool so I quit for a little bit. I really need a bigger patio or the bees to move out of my grass so I can put the pool in the yard. But I filled the hanging planter with dirt, got it all done and stepped back, realized I forgot to drill drainage holes in it.
rant.gif
Then realized I forgot to grab screws for the 3rd planter I need to put together, and to top it all off...I am out of sand paper. So after kicking myself in the rear for got making sure I had everything first, I decided to just put it all in my little greenhouse where it is out of the weather and I will come back to it after I get a little bit more money to get everything else, including lacquer for painting all of it.

Alright folks, my first day watching a friends house while he is on vacation for the first time in 9 years and I have problems the moment I open the gate. First one of the 5 dogs is missing, and I can't get ahold of the owner to see if they took him with. Asked my son if he was there when we got there and he said "no, only 3 white dogs"(supposed to be 4 white, one black) Then I go to feed the chickens/geese/ducks and I got through that fine, filled the water container and as I am walking out I see a chicken laying on it's side half under the coop.
barnie.gif
I went over and picked her up and nothing but bones and blinking eyes, she was breathing but I not moving. I could feel her breast bone and nothing else, I swear there was more meat on the chicken carcass last night than there was on this little girl. I tried to give her some water, and she wouldn't drink, so I moved her to a shaded spot in the run and the rest of the chickens swarmed her, so then I moved her into the fenced garden area outside the yard, figure she wont run off because she isn't moving.

But I can't get ahold of the owner to see what he wants me to do, and I don't feel comfortable killing her if that isn't what he wants me to do. I am in tears because I feel like I just did the biggest mess up in history. Last time they went on vacation their 2 dogs were gone, like 3 miles from home, and one never leaves the yard, and the other was at the shelter after being stolen(he is a purebred). Now I have a missing dog, and a dead chicken(pretty sure when I go back up in a hour or so she will be dead)
hit.gif
I searched the whole yard, tapped on the back door to see if maybe he snuck inside before they noticed, looked under all the plants, checked in the garden...no dog. The only things that didn't have a problem are cats, fine and fed, and the plants are all watered.

Alright folks, my first day watching a friends house while he is on vacation for the first time in 9 years and I have problems the moment I open the gate. First one of the 5 dogs is missing, and I can't get ahold of the owner to see if they took him with. Asked my son if he was there when we got there and he said "no, only 3 white dogs"(supposed to be 4 white, one black)  Then I go to feed the chickens/geese/ducks and I got through that fine, filled the water container and as I am walking out I see a chicken laying on it's side half under the coop.:barnie  I went over and picked her up and nothing but bones and blinking eyes, she was breathing but I not moving. I could feel her breast bone and nothing else, I swear there was more meat on the chicken carcass last night than there was on this little girl. I tried to give her some water, and she wouldn't drink, so I moved her to a shaded spot in the run and the rest of the chickens swarmed her, so then I moved her into the fenced garden area outside the yard, figure she wont run off because she isn't moving.

But I can't get ahold of the owner to see what he wants me to do, and I don't feel comfortable killing her if that isn't what he wants me to do. I am in tears because I feel like I just did the biggest mess up in history. Last time they went on vacation their 2 dogs were gone, like 3 miles from home, and one never leaves the yard, and the other was at the shelter after being stolen(he is a purebred). Now I have a missing dog, and a dead chicken(pretty sure when I go back up in a hour or so she will be dead):hit   I searched the whole yard, tapped on the back door to see if maybe he snuck inside before they noticed, looked under all the plants, checked in the garden...no dog. The only things that didn't have a problem are cats, fine and fed, and the plants are all watered.

Oh bless your heart..
You are doing the right thing.. If I were the owner & had a sick chicken I would not be upset that you had to take care of the deed.. They must trust you & your judgment on emergency issues.. Pet's get so upset when their parents leave, they have to learn to deal with it.. If they even see the suit case I am sure some pet's, mostly dog's, will go into panic mode.. Spoiled brat's.. When our family friends comes to spend time with them, they really spoil them.. So I think the dogs really enjoy the extra attention.. Hope you find them.. Keep us posted..

Alright folks, my first day watching a friends house while he is on vacation for the first time in 9 years and I have problems the moment I open the gate. First one of the 5 dogs is missing, and I can't get ahold of the owner to see if they took him with. Asked my son if he was there when we got there and he said "no, only 3 white dogs"(supposed to be 4 white, one black) Then I go to feed the chickens/geese/ducks and I got through that fine, filled the water container and as I am walking out I see a chicken laying on it's side half under the coop.
barnie.gif
I went over and picked her up and nothing but bones and blinking eyes, she was breathing but I not moving. I could feel her breast bone and nothing else, I swear there was more meat on the chicken carcass last night than there was on this little girl. I tried to give her some water, and she wouldn't drink, so I moved her to a shaded spot in the run and the rest of the chickens swarmed her, so then I moved her into the fenced garden area outside the yard, figure she wont run off because she isn't moving.

But I can't get ahold of the owner to see what he wants me to do, and I don't feel comfortable killing her if that isn't what he wants me to do. I am in tears because I feel like I just did the biggest mess up in history. Last time they went on vacation their 2 dogs were gone, like 3 miles from home, and one never leaves the yard, and the other was at the shelter after being stolen(he is a purebred). Now I have a missing dog, and a dead chicken(pretty sure when I go back up in a hour or so she will be dead)
hit.gif
I searched the whole yard, tapped on the back door to see if maybe he snuck inside before they noticed, looked under all the plants, checked in the garden...no dog. The only things that didn't have a problem are cats, fine and fed, and the plants are all watered.

I would have hoped that they had told you about the chicken before they left. After all, it didn't get that way overnight! If it's still alive when you get back there, I would do the humane thing, they aren't going to know exactly what happened. You could tell a little fib and say she was dead when you arrived (not too much of a stretch). As for the dog, it did not disappear on your watch. It simply wasn't there when you arrived. Check the local shelters, dog catcher etc. - other than that I'm not sure what you can do until you can talk with the owner.
Try not to feel bad - stuff happens.
hugs.gif

FOUND THE DOG!!!! Wish he would have called or left a note for me, his son(the actual owner) had the dog since he is in town. And the chicken wasn't looking too good when he left but he thought she might perk up(she didn't). But he was sorry he caused me to stress over the chicken dying, and didn't think to mention that his son took the dog when he came back to town. But I checked twice for eggs since a few of the hens were stacked in the nest boxes, first time I checked I got 20 chicken eggs, 1 first egg that is as small as a quail egg, and 1 duck/goose egg. Checked the second time a couple hours later and got 7 more chicken eggs. When I talked to him he told me that he got 30 last night and 20 eggs(after first check, called on the way back to his house) was about right. And that was with 2 eggs that I found under the coop, but I didn't know how long they had been under there so I threw them away(it was 100 degrees today and yesterday) and the 1 egg I saw they had broken(and eaten by the time I went to collect). So not a bad day for eggs, wish they wouldn't lay under the coop, he has a turkey sitting on eggs so I really don't want to go under there a whole lot. And he has one broody hen that is just flat out mean, she was actually growling at me, so Hubby took over collecting the first batch of eggs.

Back
Top Bottom