Homesteaders

I hope you don't think I have authority issues, but I do have issues with who's in charge sometimes. I guess my point was our ancestors came to get away from taxes and now we've implemented more and more of them.

We need rules of course, just not so many and so much control. God makes it rain and I just don't figure man should take control over the very rain that God sends. I won't go into heathens.
One thing I do forget a lot is to pray for those in authority.

1Ti 2:1
I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
copyChkboxOff.gif
1Ti 2:2

For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

The reality is that things are getting completely out of hand. Are rules needed? Absolutely! But rain barrels aren't exactly a new thing, and yet suddenly they can get people thrown in jail. I'm hearing stories from all around the country of absurdities like this. I even read about an organic farm/ranch that was raided by a government agency during a dinner party. The agency forced all of the food being served to be thrown out because it had been prepared without having been inspected by them first. The farm/ranch owners weren't even permitted to feed the food to their hogs. It's beyond ridiculous! I read another article about how a little girl who had grown a small garden in the yard of her low-income housing center was forced to pull everything up because government regulations said she wasn't allowed to have a garden. All of the neighbors protested the agents and supported the girl, but it didn't matter. It seems like we need a little more common sense and a little less regulation in my opinion.

We just had an article in the paper about a guy who got told he can't park his F150 truck in his driveway by the HOA. It's considered commercial and to big. He can park it in the garage but not in the drive. Even though there are others who park SUV's.

There have got to be lines drawn somewhere.

This type of thing is decided by one nutter of a person.

My neighbor came down a few years ago to complain about the marching band making to much noise across the street. It was a Sunday but I said, we moved from the city and the band practice what nothing compared to the crp we had in the city.

One O'clock in the morning and the neighbors came home and blare there rap junk. Sunday afternoon and you can't take a nap because they had the music so loud?

Now it looks like we're going to have rentals on both sides of us. There was an okay couple next door but He died and she couldn't afford the rent. Now the new landlord is renovating and lord only knows who will be in there. We are praying.

@rancher hicks A lot of western states even claim they own all rain that falls over the state and will give you jail time for stealing from the state, colorado only legalized rain collecting a couple years ago, and I just read about an Oregon man who went to jail for collecting rain water. people are crazy,

It is only legal in CO if you have a well permit. If you live in the city on city water it is still illegal! We have a well permit in the new house so we can finally setup a water catchment system. Can't wait to have the time!

The reality is that things are getting completely out of hand. Are rules needed? Absolutely! But rain barrels aren't exactly a new thing, and yet suddenly they can get people thrown in jail. I'm hearing stories from all around the country of absurdities like this. I even read about an organic farm/ranch that was raided by a government agency during a dinner party. The agency forced all of the food being served to be thrown out because it had been prepared without having been inspected by them first. The farm/ranch owners weren't even permitted to feed the food to their hogs. It's beyond ridiculous! I read another article about how a little girl who had grown a small garden in the yard of her low-income housing center was forced to pull everything up because government regulations said she wasn't allowed to have a garden. All of the neighbors protested the agents and supported the girl, but it didn't matter. It seems like we need a little more common sense and a little less regulation in my opinion.

I agree. There are some crazy unintended consequences of some laws.

We just had an article in the paper about a guy who got told he can't park his F150 truck in his driveway by the HOA. It's considered commercial and to big. He can park it in the garage but not in the drive. Even though there are others who park SUV's.

There have got to be lines drawn somewhere.

This type of thing is decided by one nutter of a person.

My neighbor came down a few years ago to complain about the marching band making to much noise across the street. It was a Sunday but I said, we moved from the city and the band practice what nothing compared to the crp we had in the city.

One O'clock in the morning and the neighbors came home and blare there rap junk. Sunday afternoon and you can't take a nap because they had the music so loud?

Now it looks like we're going to have rentals on both sides of us. There was an okay couple next door but He died and she couldn't afford the rent. Now the new landlord is renovating and lord only knows who will be in there. We are praying.

I hope you get great tenants next door!

We've got a pile of people that live down about 6 acres over from us and they play their mexican music so loud that I can hear it through the walls of my home. The county ordinance says that they can't do so after 10pm so they play it as loud as possible right up until that time. They also have found a loop hole that says a 'live band" has no restrictions and on at least one occasion played from 5 in the afternoon until 7 the next morning without stopping. I personally have called the police 16 times, other neighbors have done the same and the police just refuse to do anything. At some point someone in the neighborhood is going to snap and do something violent..... I hope I'm there to help.

I'd love to know when common courtesy disappeared from society.

We've got a pile of people that live down about 6 acres over from us and they play their mexican music so loud that I can hear it through the walls of my home. The county ordinance says that they can't do so after 10pm so they play it as loud as possible right up until that time. They also have found a loop hole that says a 'live band" has no restrictions and on at least one occasion played from 5 in the afternoon until 7 the next morning without stopping. I personally have called the police 16 times, other neighbors have done the same and the police just refuse to do anything. At some point someone in the neighborhood is going to snap and do something violent..... I hope I'm there to help.

Oh my gosh! Some people! We had a family like that living right next door to us when we lived in NV. His family would come up from Mexico and they would party all day and all night, throw their trash over the fence into our yard, get drunk and belligerent at all hours....it was insane. The police would "warn" them but do nothing. Eventually all of the other neighbors got together and issued a warning they finally heard. (I think it may have involved something about the desert being a very big area where no one would find your body...but I can't be sure since I wasn't there.) The family members left the very next day and peace returned to our very closely spaced community. After that experience I told my husband, "Never again. I grew up with neighbors that close, and now this. I need A LOT more elbow room." I think that was the experience to teach me I'm not a "people person". Common courtesy has been systematically chipped away in our society by parents who have failed to pass the lessons down to their children. It's so very sad. I've no regrets about living on so much acreage now.

You all complain about rules that limit what you can do, but then turn around and complain that neighbors are doing what they want and it bothers you.
I do think there needs to be a balance struck, and it shouldn't be rules but common courtesy. But I will be waiting for a long time for a neighbor to learn courtesy.

I had a neighbor who had parties into the early hours of the morning, and then would complain when I mowed my lawn at 8:00 on Saturday morning. When he came over and complained to me out for the third time, I offered to let him mow my lawn after he got up on Saturday while I was out enjoying the beach.

Sometimes it takes more than one voice to change things.

The trouble is authorities don't think some things are important.

The truck incident was just ridiculous, while others like noise pollution aren't. It's all about keeping the peace. The law enforcement officers were at one time called Peace officers because they helped keep the peace.

Other ordinances such as controlling the use of God given rain are in my opinion ridiculous. There are a thousand other ways to conserve water. ONE, is stop cutting down forests that prevent the evaporation. TWO, is preserve the prairies. I was just reading about them in the Field and Stream at the doctors office.

These are things society can do collectively.

Sometimes it takes more than one voice to change things.

The trouble is authorities don't think some things are important.

The truck incident was just ridiculous, while others like noise pollution aren't. It's all about keeping the peace. The law enforcement officers were at one time called Peace officers because they helped keep the peace.

Other ordinances such as controlling the use of God given rain are in my opinion ridiculous. There are a thousand other ways to conserve water. ONE, is stop cutting down forests that prevent the evaporation. TWO, is preserve the prairies. I was just reading about them in the Field and Stream at the doctors office.

These are things society can do collectively.

I count my blessings everyday. We moved from a small, dysfunctional village to 15 acres, nearest neighbor 1/4 mile away
celebrate.gif
As lovely as our current neighbors are, space makes for great peace....

I count my blessings everyday. We moved from a small, dysfunctional village to 15 acres, nearest neighbor 1/4 mile away
celebrate.gif
As lovely as our current neighbors are, space makes for great peace....

It's been said "Good fences, make good neighbors", but I expect that was before the invention of the Boom Box.
lau.gif

If I had a superpower it would be Pyrokinesis or something along that line. Like my T shirt says, Don't annoy the crazy person.
somad.gif

You all complain about rules that limit what you can do, but then turn around and complain that neighbors are doing what they want and it bothers you.
I do think there needs to be a balance struck, and it shouldn't be rules but common courtesy. But I will be waiting for a long time for a neighbor to learn courtesy.

I had a neighbor who had parties into the early hours of the morning, and then would complain when I mowed my lawn at 8:00 on Saturday morning. When he came over and complained to me out for the third time, I offered to let him mow my lawn after he got up on Saturday while I was out enjoying the beach.

I think that's exactly what we're saying...common courtesy, not overbearing legislation. But what do you do when someone apparently has zero sense of common courtesy and seems to do things merely to be spiteful? Good fences may make good neighbors, but noise isn't stopped by a fence. I can empathize with the frustration of excessively loud noise, even in the form of music, being blasted all night. It's just plain rude.

Back
Top Bottom