Homesteaders

I fully support the concept of "one thing at a time". Pick a project, do it, learn it and enjoy it. Then add another thing. I see too many people jump in with both feet and bury themselves with all sorts of projects and animals and responsibilities; then they quit it all, say it is too much and sell the place.
Rome wasn't built in a day, and your homestead doesn't need to be everything all at once. Everyone is different and every farmstead will be unique to those individuals who live there and their rhythm of life.

We are planting our mini orchard this year. I may add a couple of more apples, or a pear, but I have the start of it going into the ground this spring. The garden may not be much and chickens will have to wait until we get the garden fence done. But fencing the garden from deer and raccoons is a high priority here.
I really need to follow this advice. Since moving here, I am planning on having an 'Open House Show'. I paint furniture and am working on creating some upcycled items as well. I have a best friend that makes jewelry and a few other friends that are craft and we are all going to do this together. However, the 'shop' is an old two-story building that is crammed full of old lawnmowers, tools, old coffee cans filled with old nails or used oil from lawnmowers. Naively I thought I could clean it all out by myself, but that hasn't happened and now I'm a month away from chickens arriving, no coop and looks like I will be postponing my initial show date. But on the bright side, I'm happier than I've been in a very long time. I am trying to limit the number of projects while still trying to enjoy my kids and husband and not overwhelm them or myself.

Hi follks, been busy in Texas. Lots more than I can say.

DD had baby.

DD sick.

Missing home since it's spring and there is much to do.

Been reading ME from 1973.

Articles on Homesteading, buying a home stead and gardening. Article on keeping goats. To many to mention. ME does have a CD of all past issues I've yet to buy but plan to.

Planted concord grapes before I left. Given to me by a friend who sold a house. Free is always nice.
big_smile.png
Waiting to hear from DD on how they are doing.

I bought the CD of the ME issues - last year so I don't have everything now, but 2014 is mine in print form. :) Just got my new one today.
I like having the CD, it is searchable. I keep getting offers from them to buy it NOW ON SALE for $25; but if it is always available for $25, how can they claim it is normally $50?

I bought the CD of the ME issues - last year so I don't have everything now, but 2014 is mine in print form. :) Just got my new one today.
I like having the CD, it is searchable. I keep getting offers from them to buy it NOW ON SALE for $25; but if it is always available for $25, how can they claim it is normally $50?

I used to be a subscriber but then they got into a religious thing. While I am a Christian I can't get into that kind of thing. It's not the reason I subscribed.
Even here I'm not going to get not into that with my BYC friends. At least as much as I can avoid it.

Like ME I'm here to learn how do the homesteading and all that that entails. I go to church for my spiritual needs.

That said ME is a good source for learning lots of good things and getting ideas. I do buy special issues if it has enough of what I want to read.

Anyhow this issue I have gives ideas on how to make a homestead pay. Also how to work a garden into a small area. Seasonal planting too. I'm not sure how much longer this issue will last since it's smells of decay. Ha, ha.

Have you been reading in the News about the bird flu?

Yah, I have learned to pick and choose what I take from the magazine. Also, a lot of information is no longer published in the magazine and you have to go to www somewhereontheirsite com to find the article. If I pay for a subscription of a magazine, I don't want to have to "go online to read". I like to sit on the front porch and read.

Yah, I have learned to pick and choose what I take from the magazine.  Also, a lot of information is no longer published in the magazine and you have to go to www somewhereontheirsite com to find the article.  If I pay for a subscription of a magazine, I don't want to have to "go online to read".  I like to sit on the front porch and read.
porches? The most important part of a house? I,'ve never had a magazine crash, unlike this tablet!

I love to drive down Main Street in the little town I live by. Every house is OLD, majestic and has a front porch with seating arranged on it. Even the ones that are starting to get rundown have lawn chairs.

A mouse just tried to break into the house using my bedroom window!!!! :barnie Went to move the sprinkler in the back yard and it was in full ninja mode crawling up the side of my house. Hit it with the sprinkler and it fell, I ran like hell.

It may be just a mouse, but they are nasty!! Hubby got 5 in traps in the garage and one was still alive "he winked at me!" Was my youngests responce when he saw the mouse, I thought he was dead.

A mouse just tried to break into the house using my bedroom window!!!!
barnie.gif
Went to move the sprinkler in the back yard and it was in full ninja mode crawling up the side of my house. Hit it with the sprinkler and it fell, I ran like hell.

It may be just a mouse, but they are nasty!! Hubby got 5 in traps in the garage and one was still alive "he winked at me!" Was my youngests responce when he saw the mouse, I thought he was dead.

They certainly are persistent little buggers! We have 2 cats and still have a couple of mice in the house! Not sure if they live here or if the cat brings them home to play with!!
hmm.png
How are you? Haven't been here for a while....

Back
Top Bottom