Homesteaders

So this is my latest project, the retirement Bunny Hut. First picture is the doors and vent framing, not done yet, but getting closer. Please excuse the mess, we were working around kids and the puppy. Second picture is of the "nest box" with the back wall off. Need to buy hinges and window screen and it will be ready for its first resident since remodel. It is no longer a double breeding hutch, now it is a hutch for the unbreedables and retired breeders. Working on a ramp set up so she can get down to the patio safely, the metal bar is my lawn mower, so it isn't a short hutch by any means. Then it is onto the patio garden!!!

Well I'm here in TX you know? Okay with the flooding thing thank the Lord. Anyhow went to a "real farmers market". Lots of animals in cages including rabbits. Ponies and Emus even. Not sure if the Emu eggs were hatching eggs. Even if they were not sure I'd trust the sellers.

Mostly Mexicans. Some friendly some not. Wish I knew spanish. Will be going back. I bought couple of things but not animals. Its was funny to see a lady with a chicken under her arm. Sure it was Sunday dinner being as it was Sunday.

We used to have such a market nearby when I was young. Mother used to say the Gypsies parked there at night.

Anyhow your hutch building looks nice.

In other news.

short version.

" Patti had been in the corporate health care environment, and Stuart is still the CEO of one of the Harvard Medical groups in Boston."

Point? You will have to have another source of income even if you have a homestead. Generally speaking, it will most likely require a part time job for one or both of you.

In her book Cold Antler Farm, Jenna has other income.

In another article book I was reading the wife went back to medical school and became a doctor.

While romantic in idea to be "off the grid" and that type of thing, I personally believe it's rare. We can look to our Amish folks to see even they have had to bend.

Point? Don't be discouraged, but be realistic in your dream and goals.

I wish you well,

Rancher, back from Texas, Hicks.

ITS DONE ITS DONE:weee:weee I got the hutch finished enough Missy Foo Foo to move in. She seems happy, minus ripping off a nail before I got a chance to cut them all. Forgot how short she is so I had to lower all the feeders and water. But she is getting around nicely, and able to get into her nest box. I am so happy that she enjoys it, plus she looks so tiny inside it.

ITS DONE ITS DONE:weee:weee I got the hutch finished enough Missy Foo Foo to move in. She seems happy, minus ripping off a nail before I got a chance to cut them all. Forgot how short she is so I had to lower all the feeders and water. But she is getting around nicely, and able to get into her nest box. I am so happy that she enjoys it, plus she looks so tiny inside it.

Nice! How much space have you given her? It looks like a mansion!
smile.png

I've considered rabbits just for the manure. I envision a drop out floor and a ramp underneath so the manure will fall through and roll down into a pile. Still there is the cost and care.

I've recently read an article that equated the price of chicken manure. Yes, your animal manure has va$ue. I've bartered chickens for horse manure.

To me a nice compost pile is a beautiful thing.

I've considered rabbits just for the manure. I envision a drop out floor and a ramp underneath so the manure will fall through and roll down into a pile. Still there is the cost and care. 

I've recently read an article that equated the price of chicken manure.  Yes,  your animal manure has va$ue.  I've bartered chickens for horse manure. 

To me a nice compost pile is a beautiful thing. 

I was just talking to my friend about doing a poop hamock under the hutch, they do them for under the roost bars for chickens. Thats one of the main reasons I got her, that and she needed help and is SUPER sweet.

Nice!  How much space have you given her? It looks like a mansion! :)

I think it is 60 inches long, with an additional 12 inches in the nest box and 3 feet deep. She can't use the vertical space much, because of her leg, but she has figured out the 1 inch lip to get into the nest box. Working on a play spot in the yard for her, but its hard with too much sun and next to no shade until we build a shady thing for the back of the house (can't think of the name right now).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom