Homesteaders

The important thing for the septic is to keep vegetation on it - that keeps it from becoming compacted. You don't have to keep it mowed. At one of our old houses, the neighbor planted a wildflower garden on his so that he didn't have to try to mow it. It was very pretty.

I did not know that. My chicken run all over ours but don't eat the grasses.

Hi guys ...

Can't be sure ... they look like muscadines but they sure are purple. Speaking of grapes, we had an old friend of the family come by last week to make sure we were picking our pears and gave us 1.25 gallons of muscadines. Wife and I made jelly with them, turned out great! The jelly has a great flavor but unfortunately even though we strained it well it still turned out a little cloudy, I think next time I'll add a little butter. He stopped by yesterday and asked if we could use some more and said he had about 3 gallons more if we wanted them. Yes indeed. I offered him a dressed rabbit and some yard eggs ... he was as happy as we were!!

Hi guys ...

Can't be sure ... they look like muscadines but they sure are purple. Speaking of grapes, we had an old friend of the family come by last week to make sure we were picking our pears and gave us 1.25 gallons of muscadines. Wife and I made jelly with them, turned out great! The jelly has a great flavor but unfortunately even though we strained it well it still turned out a little cloudy, I think next time I'll add a little butter. He stopped by yesterday and asked if we could use some more and said he had about 3 gallons more if we wanted them. Yes indeed. I offered him a dressed rabbit and some yard eggs ... he was as happy as we were!!

I've got other vines around but none have grapes on them. They look like grape vines but no fruit. I wish I had more. Not nearly enough to make jelly. I do have some Concords from last year. About 10 cups to the bag. Can I add these four wild cups to those to make jelly?

I'm new to homesteading. Right now we live on an acre of land so I started with a small garden. We added chickens this year as well. If we get my in-laws' home next summer when they move that will add two more acres to what we have. If we can work out a deal with my father-in-law I might have use of the last two acres he's keeping in his name since we'll have to tend it anyway. I want to turn most of the lawn into garden beds. The sheds would be modified to keep my chickens and meat rabbits. They also have a pole barn that we want to use for goats eventually. While I'm waiting to be able to really get started I'm reading all of the books I can get from the library. I'm keeping notes and trying to plan things out. It's a little daunting, but fun! I'm hoping the work out in the sun and fresh air will help improve my health as much as eating food from my own yard.

I'm new to homesteading. Right now we live on an acre of land so I started with a small garden. We added chickens this year as well. If we get my in-laws' home next summer when they move that will add two more acres to what we have. If we can work out a deal with my father-in-law I might have use of the last two acres he's keeping in his name since we'll have to tend it anyway. I want to turn most of the lawn into garden beds. The sheds would be modified to keep my chickens and meat rabbits. They also have a pole barn that we want to use for goats eventually. While I'm waiting to be able to really get started I'm reading all of the books I can get from the library. I'm keeping notes and trying to plan things out. It's a little daunting, but fun! I'm hoping the work out in the sun and fresh air will help improve my health as much as eating food from my own yard.
Welcome! Sounds like you've got good plans and are learning lots. What kinds of chickens and rabbits?

Welcome! Seems like u r off to a great start!
thumbsup.gif

Hi there, Welcome.

Planning is key, get a pad and write and draw things out. One new thing I've learned is to carry a small pad and pencil to write things down.

I've always believed to start small and work your way up.

I know my limits. EX. 30 to 40 chickens I can handle without being overwhelmed. Though for the house I could do with less birds. I keep a variety of breeds so we always get some eggs, but we don't need 12 a day.

Next year more tomato plants, less garlic. I'm working to get beds ready NOW since winter is not as far away as I'd like in NYS.

Welcome!! As others have said planning is the key. If I'd been better at planning I'd have laid out our arrangement much differently. I to am on a single acre of land and with proper planning you'll be able to put a lot on it. I'm now in the midst of moving sheds and chicken coops to locations that are more conducive to what we want as far as livestock goes.

RichnSteph

Welcome!! As others have said planning is the key. If I'd been better at planning I'd have laid out our arrangement much differently. I to am on a single acre of land and with proper planning you'll be able to put a lot on it. I'm now in the midst of moving sheds and chicken coops to locations that are more conducive to what we want as far as livestock goes.

RichnSteph
boy do I understand that. I've go two coops I'd like to move but they're too heavy for me. One I'd just like to move four feet back. I've got to figure something else out though.

Back
Top Bottom