Homesteaders

I was watching the cooking channel today during naptime for the kids. They made lamb burgers on the grill and I have never had lamb before but it looked yummy. Has anyone on here ever used it? I want to get some Babydoll sheep down the road, and they are a dual breed so I was thinking if the kids and I like it might go down that path. Hubby has had leg of lamb and said it was really good and juicy so he is ok with going that route. I figure I will see if I can find a pound or 2 of ground lamb and see how it goes over.

Has anyone eaten goat? Not sure what the term is for goat meat (mutton?)

Something I've been meaning to try

I have eaten both Sheep and Goat, well actually we eat them more than beef. For goats if you have eaten deer they taste nearly the same but goat is less gamey. They are healthier and leaner than beef. The younger they are the tender and juicy the meat is, same thing goes for sheep (lamb if less than 1 year old). The only time I buy beef is for steak, Goat can be cooked the same way you can prepare beef (Stew, curry, Stir fry, soup, barbecue, etc) If I had the time I would be keeping both and save myself some money as we buy goats several times a year. They are in future plans as well as sheep.

Just... feel compelled to share a couple of things...
One of my best friends raises Alpines (dairy goats). For years, she also raised sheep - I forget which breed. Things I've learned from her Alpines: 1) does are adorable. 2) bucks REEK 3) raising goats means you have to have a buck around - not likely anyone is going to 'rent' you one. 4) fences are for sheep.
Her explanation of why she gave up on sheep.... "They're the only animal that's born looking for a place to die"
I have briefly had both (one) goat and (one) lamb. The lamb did not die - but I also lived in the suburbs at the time, so no predators, and I sold it before it was a year old.

My wife has expressed interest in sheep but has reservations about eating them

I've tasted wool breed lamb and raised and eaten hair sheep lamb and there's a huge difference in flavor. The hair sheep are so mild and sweet in flavor and so tender that you barely have to chew. The wool breed lamb I ate had a strong flavor and stringy flesh...the flavor had to be masked with the use of lots of garlic. They say it's the difference in the amount of lanolin in the wool. Don't know about all of that, but the hair breeds definitely smell better when raising them as stock.

The whole "sheep come out looking for a place to die" and "sheep are stupid" didn't seem to apply to my hair sheep...very intelligent, very hardy animals. The best livestock I've ever had and would raise again...easy to care for, easy to keep conditioned on just grass, very healthy and intelligent.

I wouldn't have a goat if someone gave me one and the money to keep it for its lifetime.

I've tasted wool breed lamb and raised and eaten hair sheep lamb and there's a huge difference in flavor.  The hair sheep are so mild and sweet in flavor and so tender that you barely have to chew.  The wool breed lamb I ate had a strong flavor and stringy flesh...the flavor had to be masked with the use of lots of garlic.  They say it's the difference in the amount of lanolin in the wool.  Don't know about all of that, but the hair breeds definitely smell better when raising them as stock. 

The whole "sheep come out looking for a place to die" and "sheep are stupid" didn't seem to apply to my hair sheep...very intelligent, very hardy animals.  The best livestock I've ever had and would raise again...easy to care for, easy to keep conditioned on just grass, very healthy and intelligent. 

I wouldn't have a goat if someone gave me one and the money to keep it for its lifetime. 

I think for my wife it is the cute factor... She struggles with out broilers a little even but since they are only around 8 weeks she doesn't get too attached. I hope she becomes more accustomed to raising our own meat as time passes
She admits that she appreciates knowing our birds lived a nice life but also that it is harder to eat something she looked in the eye

Any recommendations on where to find some? Chevon or lamb? Would that be something the local meat counter at the grocery would be able to get in? or the meat locker?
You can get lamb from the grocery store but it will be expensive. Goat meat is harder to find in stores unless you have Hispanic or Indian stores mind you fresh ones taste better than frozen ones you will find in both Hispanic and Indian stores. I get my goats, lamb or sheep from Amish butcher shops and since we eat lots of them we get a whole animal they slaughter and cut up to my liking. When I lived in Missouri the butcher shop would package like they do deer so I would get chops, ground and stew meat.

Have you ever eaten deer?

Back
Top Bottom