Homesteaders

I didn't think it was to late and good idea on the staggering..

I did plant leftover sprouted potatoes from the farmers market I bought last year in a old half barrel but no results yet..

I really would like to grow enough potatoes to last until the next growing season but haven't come up with a good enough storage method before they sprout any ideas?

I didn't think it was to late and good idea on the staggering..

I did plant leftover sprouted potatoes from the farmers market I bought last year in a old half barrel but no results yet..

I really would like to grow enough potatoes to last until the next growing season but haven't come up with a good enough storage method before they sprout any ideas?
do you have a cellar?

Ok other option is dig a "cold storage " out back. Its super easy. Either use a cooler or a freezer depending on size needed. We are going to use multiple freezers.

Dig a hole big enough that your "box" will sit down just below ground level. Insert "box" and fill around with dirt. Add 6 inches of dirt to inside and start filling with root vegetables and dirt. The dirt is for temperature control.

Ok other option is dig a "cold storage " out back. Its super easy. Either use a cooler or a freezer depending on size needed. We are going to use multiple freezers.

Dig a hole big enough that your "box" will sit down just below ground level. Insert "box" and fill around with dirt. Add 6 inches of dirt to inside and start filling with root vegetables and dirt. The dirt is for temperature control.

Awesome idea Thanks!

Any time. Keep in mind please that I am not a professional just a hobby gardener. So take all my advice as experiment not fact. The cooler /freezer does work just pull it up on Google first to make sure you do it right.

Any time. Keep in mind please that I am not a professional just a hobby gardener. So take all my advice as experiment not fact. The cooler /freezer does work just pull it up on Google first to make sure you do it right.

I always do research before trying to attempt anything so no worries..

What is considered a hobby gardener if I may ask?

How deep do you bury it? I imagine you have to take into account the frost line for your area?

Here I am again. I have so much trouble with this site that I let things go by the wayside.

Anyhow. Mythreesons, not sure what the term means. Either you garden or you don't. Guess if it's part of your livelihood then you're not a Hobby gardener. I don't really care I just do it. Haven't been to school for it though. Should have changed my major when I was in college but didn't.

I came here today to ask about eating Wild plants. Who here knows a great deal about it and makes it a regular practice? Any books on doing so that you'd recommend?

I'll try to keep up.

Back
Top Bottom