Homesteaders

How deep do you bury it? I imagine you have to take into account the frost line for your area?
6 inches below the frost line. I think. We use old fridges or freezers so they don't need to be deep . I'm still planning my cold storage so I will update as I go.

Most of what I'm doing is on a first trial . I'm reading a lot and then making my own rules.

Any ideas on how to make my rustic fence last longer. Lots of damage this year. Due to drying out mostly I think. I've got lots of repairs to make this year if I'm to keep the chickens I have left out.

Rancher Hicks~ I guess I don't fit into the hobby gardener as I'm in to grow as much of my own fruit and vegetables to consume fresh and to preserve. I do have my chickens strictly for their eggs.

We do eat some wild edibles..ramps, wild garlic, wild onion, nettles, wild asparagus, wild mushrooms, black raspberry, wild red raspberry, maple trees, wild apples..maple tree is used to make our syrup, dandelions are used to make wine(never ate the leaves or made a coffee substitute yet but will soon), wild apples were made into our applesauce and apple juice, black raspberry makes all of our jam, wild elderberry was ( I grow several bushes of my own now) used for my tinctures but will make delicious pies, jelly's & wine, wild honeysuckle since I just learned about this last year and have a huge one gropwing in my yard will be made into jelly..I have lot's of fiddleheads, lambs quarters that grow on my property also that I haven't eaten yet.

I bought a few book's through Amazon but can't recall the names except for The Herb Book just search wild edibles

HTH....

We are in it now to grow as much as we can, it just started as a hobby. I was a city girl until 2013 when we bought the place we live now. Now it's all about growing food and living as natural as possible for our family.

Here I am again. I have so much trouble with this site that I let things go by the wayside. 

Anyhow.  Mythreesons, not sure what the term means. Either you garden or you don't. Guess if it's part of your livelihood then you're not a Hobby gardener. I don't really care I just do it. Haven't been to school for it though. Should have changed my major when I was in college but didn't. 

I came here today to ask about eating Wild plants. Who here knows a great deal about it and makes it a regular practice?  Any books on doing so that you'd recommend? 

I'll try to keep up.  

I did not eat many wild plants, just the standard. But I have a very good book on it.

By Peterson
It came with a lovely dust cover that thing 1 and 2 made off with.

We are in it now to grow as much as we can, it just started as a hobby. I was a city girl until 2013 when we bought the place we live now. Now it's all about growing food and living as natural as possible for our family.

I've always been a country girl couldn't imagine living in the city--I'm sure you felt the same living in the country.

I'm doing this for many many reasons but mostly because I can does that make sense?

I've always been a country girl couldn't imagine living in the city--I'm sure you felt the same living in the country.

I'm doing this for many many reasons but mostly because I can does that make sense?   
because you can is the best dang reason I have herd yet. And that's the same reason I have. As for thinking I could never be a country girl, nope I've always wanted property with a garden and animals. However my parents were all city and my ex husband was Army so having a farm was not an option. Now I'm loving life.

because you can is the best dang reason I have herd yet. And that's the same reason I have. As for thinking I could never be a country girl, nope I've always wanted property with a garden and animals. However my parents were all city and my ex husband was Army so having a farm was not an option. Now I'm loving life.

So glad your living your dream.

Back
Top Bottom