Homesteaders

Anyone got wood chips dropped off to them yet? If I don't get any I might just get some straw and lay under the wild berry bushes to suppress other weeds and make harvesting easier
I've never had them dropped off despite being signed up for Chip Drop and similar services for a loooong time. I've gotten my hands on limited amounts thanks to Craigslist freebies, but I mostly chop and drop anything I can get my hands on, use fall leaves, and chicken made compost from deep litter.

Is chip drop a scam? I got an email and in follow ing the instructions I get asked to pay and for my credit card info.
If I remember correctly, the website said you could offer to pay tree services to drop chips as a way to improve your odds of getting some. i would speculate the service is on real effective around the area where it started and the owners probably did some work to get tree services enrolled. i would guess that tree services outside of that area have even heard of chipdrop

We used to have free mulch. Not good for vegetable gardnes but flowers and what not. I would get flyies and toss some moth balls around.

Now they charge for compost. i don't have a truck and really can't afford such stuff.

You might also want to check with your municipality. Ours has shredded leaves and wood chips almost all year round, free for the taking.

Also call your local electric and telephone companies (assuming lines in your area are above ground) they have to clear under them, around here the bucket truck is followed by a chipper trailer. May depend on a wait list, or they might need a place to dump them in your area.

Semi off topic, I normally am, but I just got the confirmation on Shelby's pulling harness. Im so excited, I can't wait for it to come in!! Going to start her pulling training at Dad's, he has split wood and the wagon that still needs an attachment made to make it dog pulling friendly. Plants that we ordered are starting to roll in, got our pea seeds first, so I will be doing up a trellis first thing when I get out to the house. The tomatoes, and peppers should be getting here pretty quick, I hope they are here before Dad heads back to work. Found out little man has strep again, waiting on the oldest to get it as well. We talked about dividing the plants between my place and his, not sure if Grandpa heard or not. Been getting up earlier, compliments of the sun, and it has really increased my productivity. Got the rabbit hutch lowered down, so it isnt as noticable from the side street 4 houses down. Ignore the mess, the quail decided to go into my berry patch and I used random stuff to try to brace the hutch as I cut the legs. Yes I cut the legs will all the weight on them as the hutch was upright, I learned how not to do it. But I did remove the rabbit first.

1 stallion, 2 geldings, 2 prego mare's ,1 mare who just foaled,1 precious week old foal, 1 brood mare, 1 filly, 1 colt all at 1 farm.

2 geldings, 1 colt, 4 brood mare's at the other farm

18 hens, 2 roosters, 1 cockerel, 6 straight run, and 30 eggs cooking in the bator on my farm. Plus the garden and fruit patches on my farm.

I do think a break might be in order. However that's a rich man's luxury not a poor man's luxury. So until I win a million dollars I'm going to keep at the farm work. Plus it's much more fun than watching TV or playing computer games.

Yall have fun I'm off to tend to a foal.

I just made my first ever batch of mushroom stock. It was actually an accident. My husband bought 30 pounds of mushrooms thinking we could eat them all fast enough. Hahaha!!!! There is 7 of us but that's a lot of mushrooms. So today I blanched them for freezing. Oh it smells fantastic in here. I will now be doing this on a regular basis to have broth to cook my rice in. Yum.

Back
Top Bottom