Homesteaders

Listening to you guys, I know I was blessed. I grew up in a tiny town of 372 (that is what the sign reads because those 2 people really count ;) ) people. I had my Great grandpa's pasture right outside my back door, literally just had to crawl under the fence to be free. I spent a lot of my childhood playing near the river. I did live in Lincoln as an adult for a while, but found my cowboy and am now even more remote.
I am glad you guys found and love what I have at times took for granted.

Like you Flocktastic, I was raised right outside a big city (NYC). We used to travel down to my grandparents' big farm in Culpeper, VA every summer when I was a kid. I fell in love with the farm and rural life, and knew I always wanted to live that way of life. My dream was to eventually live on my grandparents farm, but many years and many travelled roads later it wasn't meant to be. Now, the old farmstead home has been split off, remodeled and sold. What used to be a beautiful back field with crops as far as you could see there now stands a huge rehabilitation center. All that fertile field covered with asphalt and concrete. It makes me shed a tear every time I think of it. Instead, 20+ years ago we bought our little "farm" of 15 acres here in PA, and this is where I will spend the rest of my life.

Rancher Hicks, I know just what you mean when you say simple, peace and quiet. 

Yes, like rancher hicks said - simple, peace and quiet. I grew up in Southern CA...& lived between east and west coasts due to military moves while married to my ex. We were stationed in southern CA twice and near Washington DC (in a nearby Virginia suburb) as well. My ex grew to be more and more of a green eyed monster - always concerned about keeping up with the Joneses and who had what and how big and how much.

And as he continued in THAT direction, I couldn't run away from it fast enough. And I was tired of the over crowding in southern CA ...the cookie cutter houses on top of each other...neighbors that acted like strangers...increasing theft and violence even though I was in one is the supposed "better" areas.

I'll never forget making it to New Mexico...just me and my babies in the moving truck...& thinking "this is nuts...but WOW! I did it!!" And it was so wide open & peaceful (not the prettiest right then) but it felt like the possibilities were endless from there.

Rancher hicks I'm sorry you had to live that experience. It was an awful experience for me and having confused babies at first. My daughter doesn't remember him since she was 2 when he left. My son was sour to turn 4 & has vague memories. Just that this "other dad" person used to be there. Truth is, with the oath my ex went down it was really in the best interest of the children that he terminated his rights and disappeared anyway. I'm so thankful for my husband and how he's become "dad" in every sense of the word to them now.

MoonShadows - heartbreaking about the farm...that happened to my other great uncle's farm. He had a HUGE one in Canada...well he finally became old and passed away...everything was auctioned off & sold. Our family didn't really have a say and my dad was so sad to see it all just disappear. I think my parents were able to take a couple things - one of the items was the actual branding iron used on all of the cattle back in the day. It rests on my parents hearth at their home now. (My parents still live in CA...my mom has been there her entire life...I cannot convince them to come this way.) :-(

My homestead is small at the moment, but its growing! In the beginning i had a 4x8 raised bed garden and then i bought Bobwhite Quail, for eggs as chickens weren't an option just a dream at the time. I expanded the garden and the quail coop to accommodate more birds and things were looking good! I needed a bigger garden spot, so me and my dad built the garden i have today! The whole area measures 25x12 with a 4x8 in the middle. The beds make a shape of 2 L's put together, if that makes any sense! I wanted to try raising rabbits, for pet and show purposes, so i got two dutch rabbits. they just has their second litter at the beginning of the month! Later when i got settled with a bigger "homestead" the idea of chickens really started to look possible. Again me and my dad built a coop for 2 hens (the limit where i live). I plan to expand the run this summer, it measures 8x8, but i want them to have as much room as possible due to the fact that i can't free range, fox problem! I have one golden laced wyandotte named ebony, and one Delaware named ivory, they will lay eggs this summer cant wait!!! Back to the garden, this year i'm growing: Strawberries, potatoes, 2 types of bush beans, spinach, radish, rosemary,lemon verbena, mint, lemon thyme, basil, bell pepper, jalapeno, silver queen corn, peaches-n- cream corn,squash,okra, and sunflowers! I plan to sell my vegetables this year along with the rabbits that are born and fresh eggs! At first it was for personal and fun purposes but now it benefits me and my family. I have come a long way and look forward to what comes next!
Thanks for whomever read to the end, i wish you the best of luck in all you do!

You sound like me! I was originally raised in the city with the exception of summers on my uncle's farm in Oregon. I ALWAYS loved it there - never wanted to go home to "the city" but my parents would drag me back at the end of each trip. My entire life, I said I'd one day live in the country...have land, animals, my garden, etc.

My ex husband was also military - marines. We eventually divorced and he took off to start HIS version of his "new life" (which included choosing to terminate his rights to our two children & high tail it out of state for a very materialistic city life elsewhere, if you can imagine that)

As a single mom, I finally made the decision to move and follow MY dream since noting was holding me back at that point. I moved out of state all by myself (not knowing a soul where I was going) with my children who were 2 & nearly 4 at the time. It was scary and exhilarating all at once. I don't regret it. By chance I met my current husband not too long after I moved - really wasn't ready or wanting to meet anyone serious at the time but man he stuck around like a thorn in my side lol (thank goodness because he's amazing!) my children are nearly 7 & 6 now...& we have a 19 month old together...I have 3 step kids & a big garden...chickens...horses...cows...we have a lot of plans & dreams ahead of us. And I finally feel like I'm where I belong.
1f60a.png
2764.png
never stop dreaming. For when you do all you have worked for will disappear. I am still small scale with only chickens and a garden but soon we will grow .

never stop dreaming. For when you do all you have worked for will disappear. I am still small scale with only chickens and a garden but soon we will grow .

I think it's important to always keep growing even if it's in different areas...I married into the horses lol they were there before me. They're mostly pasture ornaments but one of the horses is mine (bought last year from someone who no longer wanted her) & she's expecting! I'm pretty excited
2764.png

Cautious peeking my head in here :) I've been reading through the thread all morning. Does anyone here do Urban Homesteading? Leaving the city isn't an option for us, but I'm trying my best to turn our small city lot into an urban homestead. So far that means we have a big garden bed and we are getting chickens this weekend. In the plans are a lot more garden beds, possibly some type of berry hedge {after we rip out our current hedge}, and several fruit trees. I'd love to do rabbits but my animal lover daughter refuses to. I'm toying with the idea of pygmy goats - we can have 2 here in town, but I don't really want to deal with a billy goat most of the year. Anyone know if they have AI for goats?

Cautious peeking my head in here :) I've been reading through the thread all morning. Does anyone here do Urban Homesteading? Leaving the city isn't an option for us, but I'm trying my best to turn our small city lot into an urban homestead. So far that means we have a big garden bed and we are getting chickens this weekend. In the plans are a lot more garden beds, possibly some type of berry hedge {after we rip out our current hedge}, and several fruit trees. I'd love to do rabbits but my animal lover daughter refuses to. I'm toying with the idea of pygmy goats - we can have 2 here in town, but I don't really want to deal with a billy goat most of the year. Anyone know if they have AI for goats?
welcome-byc.gif
and welcome to this thread. There should be someone here who does urban homesteading for sure. And it's a good start what you are already doing. I don't live in a farm but my zoning is agricultural and have farms around us. Only have a little over 2 acres. If I'm not wrong I think they do have AI for goats too.

All the best in your ventures

It has been raining on and off here but I did manage to go weed around the wild berries at least I weeded well around 3 plants, I plan on weeding around the more established bushes slowly. The ground being wet makes it easier then I will spread the cow manure and straw once cleared.

I hope you all will be more productive than me today.

Back
Top Bottom