Homesteaders

grew up in a town that the population never changed........

every time a baby was born, some guy would move away.
yuckyuck.gif

Well now don't feel to sorry for me. These days there are lots of kids who have both parents but a worse situation. Even some with money. Besides I was blessed considering in those days kids were taken away, from even two parent home. I am blessed now too. You all are here. :D

So back to the jelly. I let it sit another day and there was even more sediment and crystals. I got as much juice as I could which was 14 cups. Each batch called for 5. The first two batches are made with four cups of Wild grapes and 10 of domestic grapes. I believe they're concords, so the jelly is darker and tarter but good.

With the 4 cups I added 1 cup of Ocean Spray cranberry/concord grape juice. It's 100% juice and contained no sugar so I figured what the heck? It's lighter and sweeter but still good. 

One of the recipe called for use of a green apple (tart apple) instead of lemon. I'd missed that part so used the recipe that called for lemon juice. 

I also used a package of powdered pectin. I have a hard time getting a set with recipes that don't call for any.  

Yeah gooseberries and apples are supposed to naturally contain pectin, but I have never managed to get a set without adding pectin too.

1. generally as a rule I don't shop at Walmart, but.

2. they have sugar for less. $4.98 for 10#'s.

3. I needed lids and labels so I found that they have,

"Ball" lids for $1.76 that state they're BPA free.

AND "Mainstays" (made in USA) for $1.32, but don't state they're BPA free.

4. Can anyone tell me if the "Mainstays" are BPA free. This is important I think.

5. While the rings may not be important I think the lids are. A box of rings and lids is $2.32 Mainstays brand.

I did buy a box of Mainstays, lids and rings but will only use them for me. Not for donated jam.

Next up is Strawberry/Pineapple. Very nice jam. One of my favorites. Easy too. 2 cups crushed strawberry, 2 cups chopped fresh pineapple, 1 packet of liquid pectin and 7 cups sugar. The rest is routine.

Thanks for you help,

Rancher, need to empty the freezer a bit, Hicks.

As a general rule we avoid Walmart too. But they are closing the only other box store (Kmart). So now Walmart becomes one of my only options for staples like toilet paper, unless I want to go ahead and drive another 30 miles into the bigger town :/
Really need to give those online shipping stores another look

I am an urban homesteader-to-be. I have a garden that is ever expanding into pots if needed, and overflowing into Grandpa's garden across the river. My animals for the homestead are simple, no chickens but I have a bunny that provides fertilizer for the garden, and I can or eat everything out of the gardens at both houses. Grandpa has fruit trees, cherry and apple, and the garden that grows corn, squash, cucs, tomatoes, onions, and corn. As the evergreen bushes die off I would like to replace with blueberry bushes. when my rescue rabbit goes over the bridge we will be getting meat rabbits, we already have 2 horses at grandpa's and are planning on getting a few steers later this year. Grandpa has more property, he has 7 acres and a lot more experience, but he is trying to let me learn on his property. i am very much in the learning stages, and trying not to jump the gun and just fill up my backyard with animals and garden beds, I have to save some room for the kids and the dog to play.

As a general rule we avoid Walmart too. But they are closing the only other box store (Kmart). So now Walmart becomes one of my only options for staples like toilet paper, unless I want to go ahead and drive another 30 miles into the bigger town
hmm.png

Really need to give those online shipping stores another look

Sometimes you can get free shipping and that can help. I order more on line than DW does. Last order was for printer ink. Was cheaper than driving to Staples.

I am an urban homesteader-to-be. I have a garden that is ever expanding into pots if needed, and overflowing into Grandpa's garden across the river. My animals for the homestead are simple, no chickens but I have a bunny that provides fertilizer for the garden, and I can or eat everything out of the gardens at both houses. Grandpa has fruit trees, cherry and apple, and the garden that grows corn, squash, cucs, tomatoes, onions, and corn. As the evergreen bushes die off I would like to replace with blueberry bushes. when my rescue rabbit goes over the bridge we will be getting meat rabbits, we already have 2 horses at grandpa's and are planning on getting a few steers later this year. Grandpa has more property, he has 7 acres and a lot more experience, but he is trying to let me learn on his property. i am very much in the learning stages, and trying not to jump the gun and just fill up my backyard with animals and garden beds, I have to save some room for the kids and the dog to play.

I suppose we're all just wanna bees. I'm not sure I'll ever arrive. Too I suppose we're all at different stages for degrees. I just look for what %-age of my food do I grow. I'm hoping this year will be another year of good tomatoes. Then I can Can a year's worth. One coop of chickens is more than enough for the two of us.

I can do enough Jam and Jelly for the year. If I make it throughout the year it's a perpetual supply. Next up is Gooseberry/Strawberry. AND the freezer is still full.

I can't do meat for the house though. Generally we buy the "reduced for quick sale" meat. Did you know the dates on food is NOT and expiration date? That there is no Federal guideline for dating food? Americans throw out more good food than most other countries? Fact is they' don't even say "expired", they say "Best used by" or "Sell by" These dates trick us into throwing out good food and buying more.

I got chickens because of all the produce we toss. From the school this past week I got 4 bags of Apples, a bag and a half of oranges AND a box of Yogurt. All left overs from donated food for the "Run" for our Christian Health medical center. Of course what we didn't eat goes to the chickens which in turn give eggs that are sold and monies donated to the Orphanage we sponsor in India. (you can see info on this on the church web page, Livingword.org) Or given to families in need. The health ctr. is for families with no health insurance or low income. I don't know of any clinics any more.

I'll be using Orange rind in the Gooseberry/Strawberry jam and jars of that will be donated to the church store to sell. The grape jelly made with the Wild grapes came out pretty good.

I guess my point is that there is no need for anyone to go hungry in this world.

Well the sun is coming up, Saturday and I might go to the farmers market. Remind me to tell you about the Produce in Alaska. 89 # Cabbages?

TTFN,

Rancher

Sometimes you can get free shipping and that can help. I order more on line than DW does. Last order was for printer ink. Was cheaper than driving to Staples.

TTFN,

Rancher

Boy isn't this the truth! I am amazed how much a miserable experience like shopping can be improved by doing it online. With next day or 2 day delivery, WOWSER! it is just amazing.

When I am "shopping" online I imagine what it must have been like at the turn of the 1900's when people got catalogues from Sears Roebuck and Monkey Wards, and were finally able to get the things in the country that city people had. Now with the internet it can be cheaper and faster than trying to find what you need in the city!

The WWD tries to ban me from Amazon, but I still go there. Of course, to be fair, she has banned me from Sam's Club and Costco too. I like to stock up, what can I say?

Printer ink...if you don't mind using "no name" refills, they are dirt cheap at http://www.inktechnologies.com
I have been using them for the past few years and they work as well as the brand name ink cartridges. I pay $5.50 for a no name where the brand name costs $19.95. And, if you order $50 worth or more, shipping is free. For me, I use a lot of ink, and this is a no brainer.

Gooseberries. I never had jelly made from them, but ate them fresh at my Grandmother's farm when I was a kid.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom