Homesteaders

Anybody else started seeds yet? I just started four sets of seeds, cucumbers, spinach, purple basil and some dwarf marigolds. Going to plant more this weekend, but I really wanted to get some started today.

We (my 10 year old daughter and i) are starting 4 flats Saturday. All of our "slow grow" plants are going in and then the following weekend we will start our cold frame "cold rooted" plants like spinach and kale. There is no time better than now to start.

Hmmmm!!! Do yall think it would be possible to use my chicks brooder and heat lamp for my vegetable starts? I have trays and covers that the chicks can't get into but light and heat will pass just fine. I REALLY want fresh vegetables and don't have the patience to wait.

Well, we (my family & I) take a little different route to the meaning of pet vs meat animal. We are also raising children in mind to what to expect on living on the land. We raise our own animals, rabbits included, for food. However, we want our children to respect & still have a relationship with them so they can better understand where their food is from & we believe that a well treated animal will make for better nutrition too. We play & bond with all of our animals...they are in fact very spoiled ;) so...in a way they are pets & they are dinner
YAY!!!! I'm not the only parent that thinks it's a good thing to love and care for my dinner. My kids (8,10,14, and 15) help with the animals from birth or hatch until they are on the table. My 10 year old daughter helps with the processing so she can talk to God and each animal and give her thanks. My 8 year old son helps with everything that does not require a knife. I feel it makes the food taste better if they know what it took to get it to the table.

YAY!!!! I'm not the only parent that thinks it's a good thing to love and care for my dinner. My kids (8,10,14, and 15) help with the animals from birth or hatch until they are on the table. My 10 year old daughter helps with the processing so she can talk to God and each animal and give her thanks. My 8 year old son helps with everything that does not require a knife. I feel it makes the food taste better if they know what it took to get it to the table.

Exactly! We encourage relationships with animals, all animals on the homestead, be wild or housed & tamed. We always give thanks for any animal we butcher...thank them for giving us a way to survive & i always say a prayer for them too

Hmmmm!!! Do yall think it would be possible to use my chicks brooder and heat lamp for my vegetable starts? I have trays and covers that the chicks can't get into but light and heat will pass just fine. I REALLY want fresh vegetables and don't have the patience to wait.

I don't see a problem with it. AS LONG AS they can't knock them down jump on them etc... in fact it keeps cost down instead of having grow lights on.

Anybody else started seeds yet? I just started four sets of seeds, cucumbers, spinach, purple basil and some dwarf marigolds. Going to plant more this weekend, but I really wanted to get some started today.
I hope to get some in today. In the house. Tomatoes and things I can't buy at the farmers market.

Back
Top Bottom