Homesteaders

0.jpg

I think they are some of the most useful and frugal livestock to get, maintain, transport and reproduce. Rabbits are great for that too, but the chickens can do so much for the land that rabbits cannot. Chicken flocks have helped women down through generations have livestock they can handle, giving many a woman a chance to earn extra money towards household expenses, food, shoes and clothing for the children, etc., that they would not otherwise have had.

Pigs can have large litters, thus giving big rewards....but they also are big eaters and very destructive if left out on the land. Chickens can reproduce their own kind in larger numbers than even pigs and they can do it several times a season without much stress on their bodies or health. They also produce food daily, unlike the pigs. Their meat is healthier for you than most other livestock, their eggs are perfectly packaged protein capsules, their feathers can make pillows, mattresses and coverings, and even warm clothing.

They actually aerate, reseed and fertilize their own pasture, while removing pest bugs from gardens and orchards. They can even give you a wake up call each morning, depending on when you'd like to wake up. They don't require elaborate housing or fencing, are easily killed and butchered by even young children, and they stay healthy without aid of medicines if managed properly. One can breed into quality birds in a surprisingly short amount of time, much shorter than one can with larger livestock. They don't require special vehicles for transport, are easy to catch and move, and are light on feed. They even give farm dogs a job and entertainment, as they attract predators...without that to spice up their lives, my dogs wouldn't have much to do around here but sleep and eat.

In short, chickens are ideal livestock for any homestead or farm in just about any climate on the planet. To me they just make sense...if one has a reasonable amount of land to keep a flock fed and healthy, if it's hospitable to chicken life, there should be chickens on it.

Chickens and rabbits, what I grew up on besides free range organic venison
lol.png
chickens free range and eat about anything, rabbits...well they reproduce VERY well and eat grass,alfalfa, clover, FREE! for much of the yr. Cost, input, time, loss, upkeep, have to be the most economical way to put protein on the table with the least amount of 'footprint'.

I think they are some of the most useful and frugal livestock to get, maintain, transport and reproduce. Rabbits are great for that too, but the chickens can do so much for the land that rabbits cannot. Chicken flocks have helped women down through generations have livestock they can handle, giving many a woman a chance to earn extra money towards household expenses, food, shoes and clothing for the children, etc., that they would not otherwise have had.

Pigs can have large litters, thus giving big rewards....but they also are big eaters and very destructive if left out on the land. Chickens can reproduce their own kind in larger numbers than even pigs and they can do it several times a season without much stress on their bodies or health. They also produce food daily, unlike the pigs. Their meat is healthier for you than most other livestock, their eggs are perfectly packaged protein capsules, their feathers can make pillows, mattresses and coverings, and even warm clothing.

They actually aerate, reseed and fertilize their own pasture, while removing pest bugs from gardens and orchards. They can even give you a wake up call each morning, depending on when you'd like to wake up. They don't require elaborate housing or fencing, are easily killed and butchered by even young children, and they stay healthy without aid of medicines if managed properly. One can breed into quality birds in a surprisingly short amount of time, much shorter than one can with larger livestock. They don't require special vehicles for transport, are easy to catch and move, and are light on feed. They even give farm dogs a job and entertainment, as they attract predators...without that to spice up their lives, my dogs wouldn't have much to do around here but sleep and eat.

In short, chickens are ideal livestock for any homestead or farm in just about any climate on the planet. To me they just make sense...if one has a reasonable amount of land to keep a flock fed and healthy, if it's hospitable to chicken life, there should be chickens on it.
I pretty much love everything @Beekissed has to say.

If every home owner, every householder who could, did: keep a small (or larger) flock of chickens, keep a small (or larger) garden... the economy of this country would be turned on it's ear. If every one who knew how: to tend a flock of chickens, and to tend a garden, and how to process the bounty from both of these food factories in their own back yards, would then teach some one else how to do these things... the economy of this country would be turned on it's ear. If every one who could, would... There would be a massive uprising in this country by people who have learned that they are not DEPENDENT on government to take care of them. THEN, and perhaps only THEN, government would return to what our forefathers intended it to be: BY THE PEOPLE AND FOR THE PEOPLE. Ok, this rant is over, for now. Have a great and God blessed day, friends!!

If every home owner, every householder who could, did: keep a small (or larger) flock of chickens, keep a small (or larger) garden... the economy of this country would be turned on it's ear. If every one who knew how: to tend a flock of chickens, and to tend a garden, and how to process the bounty from both of these food factories in their own back yards, would then teach some one else how to do these things... the economy of this country would be turned on it's ear. If every one who could, would... There would be a massive uprising in this country by people who have learned that they are not DEPENDENT on government to take care of them. THEN, and perhaps only THEN, government would return to what our forefathers intended it to be: BY THE PEOPLE AND FOR THE PEOPLE. Ok, this rant is over, for now. Have a great and God blessed day, friends!!

Education is key. I talk with anyone who will listen about my chickens and garden. I share my harvest and barter when I can. We all don't have the same IQ and talent for a reason. So we need each other and have an opportunity to show love.

I started some seeds last evening. I hope they become plants. Okra, Tomatoes, St. Pierre, Rutgers, Iltalian ice, Homestead, Brandywine. Flowers too. Don't forget to plant flowers. Zinnias and Hollyhocks. Zinnias in pots or around a sitting area look so nice.

Save those cans and fill 'em with flowers. Buy a can of cheap spray paint and paint 'em up.

pipepotzinnia.jpg

Make lots of places to take a rest. Notice under this bench is broken up cement sidewalk. At least that what it looks like and what i'm doing with all the cement dumped in my yard.

paste-tomatoes-on-red-bench.jpg

1980.jpg

If you've to to many bring them inside. I think flowers relax us.

zinnias.jpg

Last edited:
Rancher that is so PRETTY, i need you to live closer to me so you teach my your ways oh wise one!!! The house I am moving into has some beautiful tulips and other flowers in the beds but they all go to green middle of summer, so I am looking to add more next year to the garden beds as well. I have a lot of work ahead of me, starting with labeling all the flowers that are spring flowers so I don't accidentally pull them up or plant over them. I would hate to lose the flame tulips that Grandpa loved so much, i plan on planting more of them, even though they are close to $50 a whack.
hide.gif
I just really love the look of them, and they are something that Grandpa and Grandma planted together and it means so much to me to be able to continue their legacy and bring the house and property back to where it once was, and to do it on one income is going to be hard. Luckily Dad is talking about putting solar panels on the roof before we move it and getting the second bathroom done and carpet put in where it currently has shag, so that will save us a bunch of money. Now just to save up so I can get my dream country kitchen done and the house will be set. I'm so scared and excited I am not sure which one is better/worse....But chickens are definitely going to happen once I can figure out a place to put them once the huge garage goes up(yay...not) and we get some of the trees cleared out. I want it down by the garden for easy poop removal but it is a ways from the house in the winter, but if i put them up by the house then i have to haul to the garden and they will be up on the street front...decisions decisions. Any help from you guys and gals??

Back
Top Bottom