Homesteaders

There are a few maples, but not sugar maples, and they won't grow wild here. Our soil isn't right for blueberries, I guess, where I am it's way to alkaline for blueberries to survive, I hear they like oak forests. We have only one native oak species, and it is very sparse. The Burr oak. Forests here are nearly all pine. We do have huckleberries, instead of blueberries, but huckleberries grow only above a certain elevation and are apparently difficult to cultivate, so most are gathered wild on the western side of the mountains. Where I'm at in the eastern foothills, we have golden currants and chokecherries and skunk weed sumac, wild plums, desert roses, and certain edible roots like yucca, wild onion, or sego Lily, there's an abandoned homesteader's garden not far from the house with ancient pear trees and a crab apple tree, and the two apple trees at my folks house. I tried really hard to get a sugar maple to grow, but the wind here is too much. It just seemed to lean over like a tired little kid.

I did not know that about Montana. I have an Apple book that tells of varieties that won't grow in certain agriculture but I learn so much from members about different states.

In the Netherlands they're trying to develop varieties of food plants that will grow in slightly salty water. You might find the story if you google it.

I wish we had more edible wild food sources. I like the wild grapes but the neighbors have pushed the soil and theirs is the only producing vine. I only have the male vines on my land.

I look forward to hearing more about Montana and seeing pictures.
wink.png

Last edited:
spring is the only green time here, but that makes it very special! Here it is in may.
here's a local park in October
here is my parents family homestead on the edge of the badlands, it's in the mountain shadow of the Little Snowy Mountains, and there are salt flats and fossils and all sorts of cool semiprecious stones. We watch the sage grouse dance on the leks. My parents run some cattle here.

We did get a Doyle's thornless blackberry to grow, but it takes a lot of love because of the alkalinity, we give it plenty of acid building mulch, but it still doesn't quite live up to its reputation. We are in zone 4. 12-15 inches of rain annually. Soil hangs around 7.5 to 8, sandy, with hard clay in places, not much loam. Semi arid high plains.
I know the soil and whatnot is very different where you live then it is in minnesota but they have tons of different varieties at the same lattitude so they can stand the temps most likely if you can hep them with the rest // there are several i didnt list that are hardy to zone 3 but had little or no other info

what i am looking at is only commercial varieties, there is a usda program that collects blueberry plants from all around the country and you could maybe request a sample from cultivars in your state, i got several strawberry varieties for free a couple years ago this way

blue sunset is good to zone 3 , adapts well to sandy soil, it has tiny berries and only grows a 4 inches tall, supposed to be very hardy and disease resistant.
bounty is good to zone 3 , northern highbush type, not much info, not easy to find
Brunswick is a clone of wild blueberry plant from nova scotia, it will handle your cold but soil probably not// forms a dense ground cover a foot tall
chippewa is hardy to zone 3// says survives even in temperatures under -40 degrees , its from the university of minnesota, they have or had a pretty big blueberry breeding program apperently
hardiblue is good to zone 4 and tolerates heavy clay soils
leslie is good to zone 3 but not much info // found at a very high elevation on a hillside
little crisp is goos to zone 3 and does well in sand soils
meader is one of the best for cold weather but i dont know about the soil it needs
north county is good for cold but idk about soil again
northsky is the most cold hardy of all blueberry plants, grows 18 inches tall, great for home gardens, its from minnesota, like i said they have tons from minnesta
patriot / does not get root rot, handles wet or clay in the soil well hardy to zone 3
ruby carper - good to zone 3

ps.. june berry = serviceberry tree , they grow orchards of them in canada // in my reading i have came across over 30 kinds of serviceberry // I have at least a dozen juneberry trees and hardly ever get a berry because of the birds.

Last edited:
My tomato seeds came today so I'll get them started. Have some of last years seeds sprouted. Weather allowed for some work today in the garden and coop too. I like spring. It's like getting anew beginning.

Yes I know it's not spring yet and we may still get snow, but I'll take what I can get.
hmm.png
I'm a sun person and I need more sun.

I HAVE SPROUTS!!!!!!!!!!!! My spinach and flowers are up already. Its the little things in my house that make me happy
wee.gif

Congrats. That's what I have up too. I'm waiting to put much more in the garden. Put a few seeds in last weekend. Getting 2-3 below freezing nights this weekend.

Some things are up and I planted more yesterday and today. Inside of course. I really need a greenhouse. Weather is nice but going to get cold again. Mother Nature is a cruel woman.
somad.gif

Some things are up and I planted more yesterday and today. Inside of course.  I really need a greenhouse.  Weather is nice but going to get cold again. Mother Nature is a cruel woman. :mad:     
get the clear plastic totes from Walmart and use them as a greenhouse inside your coops. I do that and the white Chinese food boxes with the clear lids. The little ones I put right in the brooder for the heat. The plants love it.

Back
Top Bottom