Homesteaders

Chicken girl 15 Good idea.

I've been thinking about building shelves in some windows and starting seeds in old water bottles. I use milk jugs in the window seals for herbs.

get the clear plastic totes from Walmart and use them as a greenhouse inside your coops. I do that and the white Chinese food boxes with the clear lids. The little ones I put right in the brooder for the heat. The plants love it.
I do have a run that is empty and plant to use that. I also might put a heat light in it just to keep things above freezing.

Poured buckets this AM. I might put a coffee maker, some K cups and a chair in the run so I can make a cup of coffee and just wait it out. Thunder and lightning too. Scared the hens so much they were dropping eggs all over the place!
lau.gif

Okay the hen thing is a joke but the coffee maker thing is not. I've gotten caught in the rain more than once.
sad.png

I built a couple of bee swarm boxes that can double as temporary hives and finally ordered some frames to go in them along with some attractant with tax $. It'll be ready for March-April. Still waiting on a steady pay check to get the rest of the stuff I need and want.

"If you don't buy the stuff you want you'll have the money for what you need."

O if I could've done that when I was making good money. I'd have paid for the ranch I wish now that I could afford a down payment on.lol

I built a couple of bee swarm boxes that can double as temporary hives and finally ordered some frames to go in them along with some attractant with tax $. It'll be ready for March-April. Still waiting on a steady pay check to get the rest of the stuff I need and want.

"If you don't buy the stuff you want you'll have the money for what you need."

O if I could've done that when I was making good money. I'd have paid for the ranch I wish now that I could afford a down payment on.lol

I agree, but it can be hard as "All work and no play make Rancher a dull boy". Keeping chickens kills two birds with one stone. When I can't sleep at night worrying about how many chickens I have, I just downsize till I can. I don't want to become a chicken hoarder.

You could say I've bought more than a few rounds plus a few more than normal (for ANY homesteader) not needed toys. I literally tried to buy land 12 yrs ago but didn't have "revolving" credit. Credit I did have was perfect just no credit card bills. I liked to pay with cash. Now using one between jobs to get buy. The land here has multiplied by 5 since and I drank enough in 10 yrs to have paid for say 80 acres not including interest. Hind site's 20/20.lol Not bragging it's a shame and a waste. Doing better now.

You could say I've bought more than a few rounds plus a few more than normal (for ANY homesteader) not needed toys. I literally tried to buy land 12 yrs ago but didn't have "revolving" credit. Credit I did have was perfect just no credit card bills. I liked to pay with cash. Now using one between jobs to get buy. The land here has multiplied by 5 since and I drank enough in 10 yrs to have paid for say 80 acres not including interest. Hind site's 20/20.lol Not bragging it's a shame and a waste. Doing better now.
Well don't give up on your dream, things can change when we least expect it. Keep working toward your goals .I wish you success.

Rancher

Well don't give up on your dream, things can change when we least expect it. Keep working toward your goals .I wish you success.

Rancher

Thanks Rancher. I'm working on it again. Starting at 0 right now but to quit is the only guaranteed outcome in anything. My 2 & 1/2 acres (I'm still paying for) isn't what I had planned but work is the only way to improve on anything.

Thanks Rancher. I'm working on it again. Starting at 0 right now but to quit is the only guaranteed outcome in anything. My 2 & 1/2 acres (I'm still paying for) isn't what I had planned but work is the only way to improve on anything.

Well try and make that 2 1/2 acre work FOR you. Selling crops or things you grow on it. Simple crops such as tomatoes can bring at least some $$$. Heirloom Tomatoes are hot things right now. We paid $7 for a small mix of them at the Farmers market.

You can do this.

Back
Top Bottom