Homesteaders

is it just me or does composted chicken poop seem to increase leaf curl in the fruit trees it's fertilized with? I use a jaraform insulated composter, so it gets piping hot but my fruit trees seem to be having issues, as in all of them and so I'm trying to figure out how to deal with it... it's pretty devestating and almost killed one of my nectarines this year.

Are you sure it's not aphid damage? Could be the N or P level was too high.

I have not seen any aphids. I have not tested the soil but I have taken samples to our nursery and they said it was leaf curl, that was two years ago with out nectarine and now all the fruit trees have it. the organic spray has to be used once all the leaves fall off and during a spell of no rain and unfortunately by the time the leaves fall off, it's rainy season here, so I have not had a chance to treat it yet... which almost caused us to lose the nectarine, it was down for the count dying and then boom, we got 3.5 months of no rain and it bounced back.

Fickle trees! I planted 2 Cornelian cherries in May. They looked like they were dying. I checked on them today, and both are loaded with big fat buds. I hope they are not planning to set out new leaves before spring! It would be sweet if they both survive the winter.

well set a raccoon trap today, hoping to catch one as there now worth something to sell on the fur market. also found a few badger holes close to the horse pasture, badger are not open till the first of November, so got to wait till then to set some traps (i use a live trap made for badgers) but baited the trap (its just a havahart) with cat food, marshmallows and coon lure. now its the wait game.

is it just me or does composted chicken poop seem to increase leaf curl in the fruit trees it's fertilized with? I use a jaraform insulated composter, so it gets piping hot but my fruit trees seem to be having issues, as in all of them and so I'm trying to figure out how to deal with it... it's pretty devestating and almost killed one of my nectarines this year.

I don't know about Leaf Curl but I do know chicken poop is the highest in Nitrogen of all poops and it can burn up anything when used heavily.
I use a lot of horse manure in the garden and a light casting of chicken poop in my garden. Horse manure carry's a few unwanted seeds but does great things to the tomatoes.

Can't say about fruit trees though I've a granny smith that hasn't produced yet. I'm planting a Pink Lady this year.

Now I did come to ask about the new low water canners. Any one got and use one? I just did five quarts of tomato/basil and used a lot of awter for that. too there are some air bubble in the jars. will that be bad? I only got a few jars of tomatoes this year. I don't usually do dozens though I wouldn't mind.

shopping

This is the type I'm talking about. There are other styles.

THat's a steam canner. Beekissed uses one a lot. I've never used one. I know that when I make apple sauce I don't put much water in it, so when the sauce gets into the jars, there's really no way to get rid of the tiny bubbles that are suspended in the sauce. I've noticed that even commercially canned apple sauce has bubbles in it. So, I don't worry overly much. My home made apple sauce hasn't killed me yet. I figure that if it kills me, I'll not worry then, either!

Back
Top Bottom