Homesteading is hard... my poor turkey hen

Pics
Feb 3, 2021
Arizona
Today we found some devastating news...😭 I went outside to the turkey coop to check on our turkey hen that is broody, she is on day 26 and had 13 eggs, when I saw a trail of red fire ants leading under her...I lifted her up to find 2 dead poults still mostly in their shell squished. We looked around and found the other egg about 20 feet from the nest half eaten.😩 Dolly Pardon ( the turkey hen) looked kind of anxious and some of her feather on the legs and tail were torn out. I think it was some sort of mice or rat... she would never do something like this...We are so dissapionted that this happened so close to the hatch day.:th:hitWhat does it sound like to you? Predator or the hen? I hope the rest of them make it! HELP US!! What should we do? Move her to a totally enclosed area or keep her in the nest?? Please reply! Thanks! @R2elk @Bigtom Turkey @Ridgerunner @Kiki @HeatherKellyB @Overo Mare @MissE @Chiknoodle @cmobley @CHlCKEN @RosemaryDuck @JacinLarkwell

Last edited:
I am not an expert. But I would recommend moving her to some sort of large dog crate...maybe put it in your garage? Just so the rest of them might make it
Thank you for replying. I thought we should do that. There are baby chicks in the garage so the sound of them might agitate her.. maybe? We have never had a broody this close to hatching eggs so I am up for any suggestions.

You should probably separate her. I'm not sure if that would deter her from hatching the rest or not, but it would be good to get her away from whatever is harming her.
Ok! Right now she is in her nest right next to the barn so there is a lot of mice in the barn, I am thinking the mice got the her. I will move her to the garage. We only have a medium dog cage not a large one will that work? Or is it too small?

Ok! Right now she is in her nest right next to the barn so there is a lot of mice in the barn, I am thinking the mice got the her. I will move her to the garage. We only have a medium dog cage not a large one will that work? Or is it too small?
Would it give her enough space to stand up and walk a little bit?

Back
Top Bottom