Homesteading is hard... my poor turkey hen

Today we found some devastating news...šŸ˜­ I went outside to the turkey coop to check on our turkey hen that is broody, she is on day 26 and had 13 eggs, when I saw a trail of red fire ants leading under her...I lifted her up to find 2 dead poults still mostly in their shell squished. We looked around and found the other egg about 20 feet from the nest half eaten.šŸ˜© Dolly Pardon ( the turkey hen) looked kind of anxious and some of her feather on the legs and tail were torn out. I think it was some sort of mice or rat... she would never do something like this...We are so dissapionted that this happened so close to the hatch day.:th:hitWhat does it sound like to you? Predator or the hen? I hope the rest of them make it! HELP US!! What should we do? Move her to a totally enclosed area or keep her in the nest?? Please reply! Thanks! @R2elk @Bigtom Turkey @Ridgerunner @Kiki @HeatherKellyB @Overo Mare @MissE @Chiknoodle @cmobley @CHlCKEN @RosemaryDuck @JacinLarkwell
Are there any animal tracks?,such as a possum, skunk or raccoon? I don't think that the momma hen did it.I think that maybe an animal of some sort tried to get to her eggs and because of her weight broke a couple but manage to get one away from her. A mouse isn't strong enough to carry a Turkey egg so it had to be something bigger! I know this won't replace the destroyed eggs but may help in fighting against future attacks? So sorry for your loss!!

Are there any animal tracks?,such as a possum, skunk or raccoon? I don't think that the momma hen did it.I think that maybe an animal of some sort tried to get to her eggs and because of her weight broke a couple but manage to get one away from her. A mouse isn't strong enough to carry a Turkey egg so it had to be something bigger! I know this won't replace the destroyed eggs but may help in fighting against future attacks? So sorry for your loss!!
We didn't see any tracks but the kids probably would have walked on them so maybe just maybe a smaller predator got in.

I would definitely bring everyone, mom and eggs and/or babies inside. I always bring my broody hens inside, that way I can keep a close eye on them, and don't have to worry about something dreadful happening. I have had chicks drown trying to get water, and other hens attacking the babies. It also gives mom less anxiety which helps babies grow up feeling safe and secure. Less fear is always better for everyone. Just my opinion.
I do not want to move her we already some external pips and if we move them I think we would do more harm than good at this point.

Today we found some devastating news...šŸ˜­ I went outside to the turkey coop to check on our turkey hen that is broody, she is on day 26 and had 13 eggs, when I saw a trail of red fire ants leading under her...I lifted her up to find 2 dead poults still mostly in their shell squished. We looked around and found the other egg about 20 feet from the nest half eaten.šŸ˜© Dolly Pardon ( the turkey hen) looked kind of anxious and some of her feather on the legs and tail were torn out. I think it was some sort of mice or rat... she would never do something like this...We are so dissapionted that this happened so close to the hatch day.:th:hitWhat does it sound like to you? Predator or the hen? I hope the rest of them make it! HELP US!! What should we do? Move her to a totally enclosed area or keep her in the nest?? Please reply! Thanks! @R2elk @Bigtom Turkey @Ridgerunner @Kiki @HeatherKellyB @Overo Mare @MissE @Chiknoodle @cmobley @CHlCKEN @RosemaryDuck @JacinLarkwell

Back
Top Bottom