Homesteading

The possom you just stick into Cajun food!
lau.gif

Have you tried porcupine?

Everyone I talk to says they are terrible....but I haven't tried them yet.

No. We don't have porcupine where I live. Coon is really good but I have heard possum is really greasy. One of our local churches has a huge annual "wild game supper". All the hunters bring in meat they have hunted and that gets pretty interesting because some of them go on hunting trips all over the country. They bring in everything from bear to all kinds of birds. Hundreds of people come and the meat all goes fast.

Hi there, I live off the grid and I had no electricity or running water for years. Eventually I set up a primitive water pump system, I put a little pump at the pond, and I would drive my car over to the pond and hook up the pump to my car battery. If I ran my car for about 20 minutes I could fill up a 45 gallon barrel with a tap on the bottom, which was by the back door of my house.

I also had a bathtub with a fire pit underneath it, the tub was by the creek so I filled it with buckets. Still my favorite way to bathe, in a tub that will stay hot for hours.

I had a woodstove with an oven attached to it, and a little propane burner for when the stove wasn't going. I used an outhouse with a bucket system, so my waste was composted - that way it reduced the likely hood of anything leeching into the groundwater and I also had some fertilizer for fruit trees.

Now I am still off the grid but I have solar and a generator and gravity fed water from a pond up the hill. I often miss those days of living simpler, dipping homemade candles, and hauling drinking water. There is something really special about knowing the weight of the water you use.

Good luck!

Emily

backtothecraft.blogspot.ca

My blog is mostly about crafts right now but I intend to create more content about sustainable and self-sufficient living.

Hi there, I live off the grid and I had no electricity or running water for years. Eventually I set up a primitive water pump system, I put a little pump at the pond, and I would drive my car over to the pond and hook up the pump to my car battery. If I ran my car for about 20 minutes I could fill up a 45 gallon barrel with a tap on the bottom, which was by the back door of my house.

I also had a bathtub with a fire pit underneath it, the tub was by the creek so I filled it with buckets. Still my favorite way to bathe, in a tub that will stay hot for hours.

I had a woodstove with an oven attached to it, and a little propane burner for when the stove wasn't going. I used an outhouse with a bucket system, so my waste was composted - that way it reduced the likely hood of anything leeching into the groundwater and I also had some fertilizer for fruit trees.

Now I am still off the grid but I have solar and a generator and gravity fed water from a pond up the hill. I often miss those days of living simpler, dipping homemade candles, and hauling drinking water. There is something really special about knowing the weight of the water you use.

Good luck!

Emily

backtothecraft.blogspot.ca

My blog is mostly about crafts right now but I intend to create more content about sustainable and self-sufficient living.

That is really cool! My husband and I eventually want to live off-grid. We have some land that we are going to build on, and when we do, we want to build in a sustainable way. We have been collecting antique "homestead" items at yard sales and antique shops to use now and in the future.

Amish also use kerosene lamps & lighting, and kerosene for tractors sometimes too (depending on the strictness of the sect).

Does living without water mean like without city/county supplied water?
Personally I'm interested in rain water harvesting systems and grey water system. I've only been looking into the details of them recently, but I like the general idea which is there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom