HomesteadNowhere Hatch-a-long! Set April 7, hatch April 28!

Pics
Wow, just had another one pop out. One of my silveruud crosses. There again, with the million times I've check today I never even saw a pip or a zip
That's the way I like it :oops: Like lambing. Best is when I show up and there is healthy babies.

The first to pip wasn't making progress. Earlier I made cracks all the way around the top of the shell, as they are supposed to zip. Just now it still hadn't progressed. I went ahead and carefully removed the "lid" of shell and membrane. Pokey popped it's head up and thrashed about as they do newly hatched. I dampened the membrane edge and quickly put the chick back in. It's still sitting in the bottom of the shell. I'll leave it, if it's going to be strong enough to live it's gotta do it.
It's one of the "extra" brahma eggs so it's not a big deal. But it sucks to have any seem to lack vigor.

Just now have one almost entirely out of the shell. And another is pipped. Can't spot any others right now. But it's coming closer to the full 24hr day of hatching so I'm sure once they start it'll be a bunch at once.

Well the hatch ended up being a relative bust. Ended up with three out of 15. I opened the other eggs last night and found embryonic development but it looks like they quit between day 9 and 14. I guess I'm not experienced enough to see that the veins were no longer viable on days 14 and 18. Glad to know that I had viable eggs but understand the fault lies in the incubation process. Trying not to feel a little Charlie Brown here this morning.
That won't deter me from trying again since I have a nice supply of eggs still coming. I'll try tweaking the system next time. I suspect one problem may have been low humidity early on.

Well I was waiting and hoping for more chicks but I think my hatch has turned out a big bust... :hit Still only the four chicks. No pips. No peeping. Tonight I'll try to candle. Quickly pulling out eggs individually to keep the incubator temp and humidity up.

I'm just so bummed!

Wow, we really are kindred souls. Really sorry about the hatch but I hope like me you'll give it a try again.
I only wish I had a nice broody, I'm sure she do a better job than I would any day.

I locked down 13 Welsh and 7 CLB but I have no idea if the CLB developed as I couldn’t see. Only 8/13 Welsh and 4/7 CLB hatched. Not so great for me. I just set 36 chicken eggs last night hoping for a better outcome and trying a dry hatch.

Back
Top Bottom