Honey Bee question

UNCLEG

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 26, 2007
I apologize if this has been asked but I could not find the right post. We are thinking about getting some honey bees but I have one concern.........we have tons of Lantana growing in our yard, only thing the deer will not eat, I have read that Lantana is toxic if injested............so the question is would honey produced by bees on Lantana be Toxic?

Thanx,

G

No, honey bees covert all pollen so that its not toxic. The taste and color varies on what pollen they pick up though.
smile.png

Pollen isn't 'converted into honey', nectar is. I've never heard that lantana nectar is toxic, I'll do some checking and get back to you. And yes, the Beemaster forums and website are a great source of information.

My brother in law keeps bee's. Here in the UP of MI we get such cold weather that the bee's usally die every year. My brother in law is an electition and so he designed this really cool house like thing that the hives slide into and they are heated so that the bee's don't freeze. He also does class for the local MSU extention on keeping bees. I will ask him tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom