Honey? Did the chickens just moo?

Ravishaw

Songster
9 Years
May 7, 2010
We are enjoying a few days with frosty mornings here in Queen Creek, AZ. This morning as I was enjoying the last few minutes of slumber, listening to my marked-for-death rooster crow, I was reminded of how things can go awry. As soon as the rooster stopped crowing, I heard a bellowing mooooOOOOOOO!

I had to process that... usually I hear a moo from somewhere down the street, but this sounded like one of my hens had let her bovine instincts get the better of her and had moo'd in response to the crow. Then my rooster crowed again and another bellowing mooooOOOOOO followed! This was too much. I had to see which hen was mooing. I opened the blinds to look out the window, and there laying contentedly on the frosty grass were my neighbors two cows. The heifer looked like she had just let the last moo rip.

I looked again with my glasses on and there were two RIRs perched on the cows sides. There were other chickens huddled around them too. The cows didn't seem to mind very much, they just.. moo'd.

Then I looked for my rooster. He was nowhere to be found. Turns out he went and hid under the lattice we have leaning against the wall... the gutsy fellow.

My neighbors cows had pushed the fence down during the night and had wandered into my yard and dozed off by the chicken coop. Maybe it was a little belated new years mischief, but my hens sure enjoyed a nice warm perch for a while.

HAHA! Great story
smile.png

no, no pictures. The sun wasn't up yet and it was still pretty dark. We have a few oleanders and they're poisonous to cattle so I hurried over to my neighbors house and let them know the cows had had a good time and were ready to come home now.

Back
Top Bottom