1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Honeybees and chickens?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by McGoo, Oct 13, 2009.

1. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I am thinking about raising some honeybees come springtime and the best place for me to place the hive is within the area (1/2 acre) where my chickens roam.

Do you know of any problems with chickens and honeybees?

oh, I do know that DE could be deadly to bees, so I hope that they don't go in the chicken coop.... why would they?

Any insight/help is appreciated. Thanks all

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Put them high with no place for chickens to stand by the entrance. I know Guineas will camp the entrance an eat every one. Chickens may do the same if given the chance.

3. McGoo

Thanks for the advice. Very helpful.

If I decide to keep them inside the chicken area, which has an electric fence and will protect the bees from skunks and my lab, I'm gonna need to create some type of protection from the chickens hmmmm.... Maybe a wire mesh frame. I've got time to ponder this one.
    Thanks

4. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Our four hives are within 20' of the front door of the coop. The chooks range all around the hives and don't bother the bees one bit. It is true guineas will eat bees, but so far (over a year now) I've never seen them show the slightest interest in the bees.

5. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    My girls roam past my beebox, but neither the bees or the chickens have bothered each other. The bees seem to take no notice of them.

6. McGoo

Well this is great news. [​IMG] Now I can place the hive within the protected and sunniest area.

Thanks all.

ps. And I won't be getting any guineas anytime soon [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by