Honeyvine Milkweed

-Melissa-

Hatching
Apr 8, 2017
I'm in the process of building a small pole barn for future chickens. The entire length of the attatched run will be along a wood fence. Over the last couple of years we've been finding Honeyvine Milkweed everywhere (I've lived in this house 17 yrs, the vine is new). I'm not sure how to keep it from popping up in the run. It is in the Milkweed family. We find monarchs on it. It's very evasive, sending out runners and popping up all over. It grows quickly too. Will this cause problems? Will the chickens eat it and get sick? If so does anyone know how to get rid of it?

I hope this is in the right forum. I wasn't sure where to put it.

Last edited:
Managing Your Flock might have been a better place for it, but hopefully you'll get some help. This is not a weed I am familiar with, but my thinking is, if chickens were prone to eating things they shouldn't, there would be no chickens because they'd have all poisoned themselves. My chickens free range all over our place and I have never worried about what they eat. They have access to our grove, our apple trees, the horse pasture...

My flock will get free range time but this could pop up in the run. I didn't know if they would eat everything in the run whether is was good for them or not.

Back
Top Bottom