Honking and sneezing

juliawitt

Songster
10 Years
Aug 9, 2009
My year old SLW hen is making a honking sound once in a while and is sneezing. She isn't lethargic and she is eating, but the sneezing is worrisome. We have had a big temperature change in the weather.-could she have a cold or sinusitis? None of the chickens are doing this. I quarantined her this morning. She does not like being seperated but I didn't want to take chances. What diseases or conditions could cause this? I am very biosecurity oriented. They are allowed to free range for 30 minutes or so a day, but that would be their only opportunity to catch anything. All the others are fine. Should I be concerned? Her poop is fine and so are her eyes. Just sneezing and honking/bad crowing. What should be my next step. All are starting to molt. All are eating layer pellets with scratch and fresh greens from the garden. All are pets. I want to be proactive--so, should I just watch, should I treat with antibiotic (and what one) or am I being a worry-wart.

One of my chickens has been sneezing since the beginning of the summer... I worried about it at first, but now I think she might just be a sneezy kind of bird, because she shows no other signs of illness.

I would listen to her breathing and check for any kind of discharge. If her breathing sounds fine, and she has no nasal or eye discharges, i would not get worried, personally. I have one hen who sneezes periodically, and it's usually when i've given them some kind of treat and she goes after it too fast - assume she gets dust in her nose when she does that. She's not sick, and she doesn't really sneeze any other time. She's also the only one, so i'm not worried.

Back
Top Bottom