Honking Geese Driving Us Nuts

Ganso3

Hatching
May 5, 2015
Help – our 6 geese (2 African Grey – male & female, 4 White Chinese – 3 female, 1 male) are suddenly driving us bonkers with noise! We’ve had them for about 2 months, bought them as young adults.
Night before last, they started up with the honking around 10pm, and all night long they kept up a constant chatter – everything from the “Where are you?” – “I’m over here” exchanges to the “Hey lookout, something has startled me!!!” ones which are extremely loud, repetitive honking. Literally they never took a break longer than 5 to 10 minutes, honking from 10pm until 6am. None of us got any sleep and I’m sure our neighbors (whose bedrooms are 200 to 300 feet from our yard) are irate.
Last night, they had a few eruptions of chatter and alarms but kept pretty quiet until 430am today, when they let forth a wild cacophony of constant alarms, reporting their locations to one another, confirming receipt of alarm, repeating alarm, etc. (as you can see, I speak fluent Goose, lol).
Last time we had a noise problem with them, we fixed it by moving them further away from the barn. Out by the barn, we had a raccoon problem and then an armadillo problem, with predators constantly trying to get at our hens' eggs. We've locked up the hens at night but have no where to lock up the geese. They sleep outdoors (this is the deep southern U.S.) and they have several small nesting-type shelters where they can get out of the weather when desired, but they love the rain as much as our ducks.
Okay, our ducks could be part of the problem. We have one-month old khaki campbell and indian runner ducks, and the geese spend a large part of their day honking at the ducks and kind of chasing them around the yard. We're not sure if they are saying "Get out of here!" or if they are herding them like goslings. One of the geese recently adopted the ducks and things were going well for a week, until 2 nights ago the geese got this new habit of honking all night long. Maybe the geese are waiting for a honk from the ducklings?
Or....Outside this morning while it was still dark outside, I observed two large predator birds – they were so fast I couldn’t identify them, but they were either chickenhawks or owls. Maybe that’s what has got the geese so upset? I live in the country and will never be able to eliminate hawks, owls, skunks, armadillos, possums, etc.
It’s so bad that we’re talking about selling, or even GIVING away the geese, just to escape this noise problem. Suggestions?

[COLOR=000000]Help – our 6 geese (2 African Grey – male & female, 4 White Chinese – 3 female, 1 male) are suddenly driving us bonkers with noise! We’ve had them for about 2 months, bought them as young adults.
Night before last, they started up with the honking around 10pm, and all night long they kept up a constant chatter – everything from the “Where are you?” – “I’m over here” exchanges to the “Hey lookout, something has startled me!!!” ones which are extremely loud, repetitive honking. Literally they never took a break longer than 5 to 10 minutes, honking from 10pm until 6am. None of us got any sleep and I’m sure our neighbors (whose bedrooms are 200 to 300 feet from our yard) are irate.
Last night, they had a few eruptions of chatter and alarms but kept pretty quiet until 430am today, when they let forth a wild cacophony of constant alarms, reporting their locations to one another, confirming receipt of alarm, repeating alarm, etc. (as you can see, I speak fluent Goose, lol).
Last time we had a noise problem with them, we fixed it by moving them further away from the barn. Out by the barn, we had a raccoon problem and then an armadillo problem, with predators constantly trying to get at our hens' eggs. We've locked up the hens at night but have no where to lock up the geese. They sleep outdoors (this is the deep southern U.S.) and they have several small nesting-type shelters where they can get out of the weather when desired, but they love the rain as much as our ducks.
Okay, our ducks could be part of the problem. We have one-month old khaki campbell and indian runner ducks, and the geese spend a large part of their day honking at the ducks and kind of chasing them around the yard. We're not sure if they are saying "Get out of here!" or if they are herding them like goslings. One of the geese recently adopted the ducks and things were going well for a week, until 2 nights ago the geese got this new habit of honking all night long. Maybe the geese are waiting for a honk from the ducklings?
Or....Outside this morning while it was still dark outside, I observed two large predator birds – they were so fast I couldn’t identify them, but they were either chickenhawks or owls. Maybe that’s what has got the geese so upset? I live in the country and will never be able to eliminate hawks, owls, skunks, armadillos, possums, etc.
It’s so bad that we’re talking about selling, or even GIVING away the geese, just to escape this noise problem. Suggestions?[/COLOR]
To my understand, African and Chinese geese are the loudest and most talkative geese.... You may be stuck here

And living in the deep south no telling what is coming around I bet you'd be screaming too if scared and not knowing when something was going to kill and eat you. Geese don't have any defense maybe this is their way of trying to stay alive loud honking to scare of preds. . I live in the south too and would not have geese or any poultry unless I had a safe place for them to sleep at night knowing one day I am going to wake up to carnage. It's only a matter of time, I think your right giving them away and finding them homes were they will be protected is the way to go if your not willing or able to do it yourself. My geese rarely make a peep[honk] at night inside their house where they are safe.

Welcome to BYC

I second the recommendation on Buff goslings. We have American Buff and Pilgrim geese and they are generally calm. They seem to take everything in stride. Don't get me wrong, they can raise a huge fuss; but generally don't unless it is very serious. They can also be talkative.

Or could you have a greater predator problem than you think? maybe something unusual? Ours have an enclosure made of cattle panels and generally don't mouth off at night. I have seen them (but not me) ignore both a possum and a gray fox. If I heard our geese fussing in the middle of the night, it would mean something really nasty was outside or in the pen. I would be out the door 22 in hand; and honestly at that point, it would probably be too late.

Last edited:
I have a goose noise problem too, but these are Canadian geese and they're wild so I can't do anything about them. Hundreds of them sometimes flock to our pond which is outside our bedroom window and honk all night. I would like to find a way to get them to move on, but nothing has worked, and they honk on....

And living in the deep south no telling what is coming around I bet you'd be screaming too if scared and not knowing when something was going to kill and eat you. Geese don't have any defense maybe this is their way of trying to stay alive loud honking to scare of preds. . I live in the south too and would not have geese or any poultry unless I had a safe place for them to sleep at night knowing one day I am going to wake up to carnage. It's only a matter of time, I think your right giving them away and finding them homes were they will be protected is the way to go if your not willing or able to do it yourself. My geese rarely make a peep[honk] at night inside their house where they are safe.

Welcome to BYC
GOOD FOR YOU! Totally agree!

Help – our 6 geese (2 African Grey – male & female, 4 White Chinese – 3 female, 1 male) are suddenly driving us bonkers with noise! We’ve had them for about 2 months, bought them as young adults.
It’s so bad that we’re talking about selling, or even GIVING away the geese, just to escape this noise problem. Suggestions?
I also have Chinese and African geese. The only call at night if there is a animal close by. A raccoon got into my feed barn and freaked the geese out. Trapped the animal and peace returned. I keep them fenced in at night so they stay safe and can go inside a structure. They are loud around my Hubbie but quiet around me after the initial greeting. They follow my tractor everywhere. They are surprising militant requiring them to herd my ducks and chickens to where they are supposed to be. Chickens into the pen when they escape. I am disabled so chasing is difficult for me. They are like border collies and sheep. Good luck!

Last edited:
As you can see by the photo, we have a Pilgrim goose---named Mayflower. She is a love. She can raise a fuss, but is mostly quiet. She never makes a peep at night. We built a goose/duck coop ourselves. We have Mayflower, and 2 ducks that she gets along with perfectly. They sleep in their own secure little house on nice hay every night. (Locked door, predator screened windows, which can also be shut if desired). They NEVER make a peep all night.
PLEASE get or make a coop for the geese IF you really want to keep them. They should NOT be out at night. Here is a photo of the 'goose coop' we designed and built ourselves on a budget.

goosecoop_cover1 copy 3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom