Hooked AND scissored beak

You do not have to agree,i am stating a fact! Scissor beak is not always related to genetics,there are varied causes as to why this condition occurs,i have listed a few of them.

I think in this case it was genetic as she had been on Purina medicated starter crumbles since we got her. Put ACV in the water and tried to give her yogurt, but my chicks seem to just like regular chick food.

Last edited:
I have a hooked scissor beak chick I noticed it on day one it is very severe. She seems to manage and she is always the first to the feeder in the morning and the last to leave she does not put up with any pecking by her coop mates we call her Jeffy our special needs girl.

I hate to be the one to tell you...but the peep is going to starve and suffer....I would cull now.

It's in the best interest of the peep....it will suffer and starve...or be anemic and never develop....yep Mother Nature at work...be the one that makes the good choice for the peep.

bigz

I have a hooked scissor beak silkie that developed pretty early. She has never had an issue. We have about 30 chickens and she's always been able to hold her own. I recently got an araucana with a slightly more severe case. I have to mix a little bit of water with her crumbles so she can pick it up easier. Since I did that she is thriving. Check out other threads. There's also some under "cross beak". You will find a lot of people have had success raising chickens with beak issues. We raise ours for pets and eggs. Not for breeding. So I don't mind having chooks with special needs :)

I hate to be the one to tell you...but the peep is going to starve and suffer....I would cull now.

It's in the best interest of the peep....it will suffer and starve...or be anemic and never develop....yep Mother Nature at work...be the one that makes the good choice for the peep.

bigz

Already culled. :-(

It will always be Your choice. This was my experience. From a beautiful baby, a couple of week later, to older and death shortly after. My choice will always be cull. Do us all a favor and don't breed these birds. Thank you.

It will always be Your choice. This was my experience. From a beautiful baby, a couple of week later, to older and death shortly after. My choice will always be cull. Do us all a favor and don't breed these birds. Thank you.
welcome-byc.gif

A sad timeline. I am sorry.

Crossbeaks are genetically unsuitable to use as breed stock. There is still some debate as to whether the condition is genetic or not, but the vast majority agree that this is a condition that is brought about by a genetic anomaly. That is why any time you get a chick with this defect it is important to report the defect to the hatchery from which the chick came. They DO try to weed this out of their lines because it is so obvious at such a young age. It does not look good for them to have defective chicks coming from their business. I would like to be able to say the major hatcheries try to weed out all defects, but sadly this is not the case. They should also address internal laying in their high production breeds and angelwing in their waterfowl. These two defects tend to show up later in life, though. And there is still some debate about whether angelwing is genetic or dietary.

welcome-byc.gif

A sad timeline. I am sorry.

Crossbeaks are genetically unsuitable to use as breed stock. There is still some debate as to whether the condition is genetic or not, but the vast majority agree that this is a condition that is brought about by a genetic anomaly. That is why any time you get a chick with this defect it is important to report the defect to the hatchery from which the chick came. They DO try to weed this out of their lines because it is so obvious at such a young age. It does not look good for them to have defective chicks coming from their business. I would like to be able to say the major hatcheries try to weed out all defects, but sadly this is not the case. They should also address internal laying in their high production breeds and angelwing in their waterfowl. These two defects tend to show up later in life, though. And there is still some debate about whether angelwing is genetic or dietary.

Baby chick was culled about 3 1/2 weeks of age. I haven't reported it to the nursery where I got the chick, but I think I will do so. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom