Hooked beak vs straight?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kl0v3daq, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Kl0v3daq

Kl0v3daq Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2015
    We got these GLWs? together a few days ago. About the same size, one may be a bit bigger. One has a really hooked beak compared to the other, does this mean anything? One has more adult featehring than the other as well, and a better tail. The one with the straighter beak has a lighter comb area (maybe even a bit rose tinted), while the one with the darker beak has a darker comb area. I was so hoping these would be pullets. Can't remember how old
    [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    It looks like it has a crossbeak, which actually can cause problems down the line and even prevent the chick from eating if it gets severe enough. You might want to head over to the crossbeak thread - they will be able to give you good advice.

3. Kl0v3daq

Mar 21, 2015
    I believe you're seeing the chick sitting beside it's beak...it is not a crossbeak :]

4. Kl0v3daq

Mar 21, 2015
    [​IMG]
    See, this is the black chick with the hooked beak from the front that you just said was crossbeaked :]

[​IMG]
    Here's the sibling

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Oh you're right, I was! Whoops! Well, that's good news then! The more curved beak doesn't really indicate anything as far as gender goes, and so far I don't see any comb development that would indicate that you have a male :)

6. SJchickens

SJchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    I'm glad that it's fine for them to have curved beaks. I have two cochin sisters that were both born with slightly curved beaks, just like the ones in this picture. It doesn't seem to affect them in any way, but since the other chicks had normal beaks, it worried me a bit. :)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  7. Kl0v3daq

Mar 21, 2015
    I feel like she needs to go in with my parrots, she'd fit in with her curved beak [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by