Hooking up light timer

We have our red heat lamp set to come on at 5 p.m. and go off at 7 a.m. strictly to keep the water from freezing. Our chicks don't seem to mind at all, they sleep all night with that light on, but they have had a heat lamp on them since they were day old in the house as well to maintain their temp. Now when the light comes on they go into the coop and get on their roosts. During the day we have no light on as enough light comes through the windows and typically the coop stays around 40 F and usually they only go back into the coop during daylight hours to lay, the rest of the day they are outside in their enclosed run.

We have our red heat lamp set to come on at 5 p.m. and go off at 7 a.m. strictly to keep the water from freezing. Our chicks don't seem to mind at all, they sleep all night with that light on, but they have had a heat lamp on them since they were day old in the house as well to maintain their temp. Now when the light comes on they go into the coop and get on their roosts. During the day we have no light on as enough light comes through the windows and typically the coop stays around 40 F so far and usually they only go back into the coop during daylight hours to lay, the rest of the day they are outside in their enclosed run.

My chicks (9) are 5wks old and were in the basement of my house with a lamp until they outgrew the brooder they were in and I have put them into a bigger brooder in the garage. They are outgrowing it as each day goes by. I'm making a coop for them in my pole barn that has no windows so it will be dark 24/7 unless I have some kind of lighting on a timer. I'm going to have a light come on a couple of hours before daylight that isn't in the coop, and then later in the morning I can go out there and turn on some lights or open doors to let light in until it gets dark, then have that same light on for awhile then let it go out. Sound good?

I picked up one of these timers in the Xmas section at Target this week- currently on sale for $2.49, regular $4.99

It has 48 pins, one for for every half hour, so you can have it go on and off at any time you want. I had a better timer like this, with 15 minute intervals, but it had removable pins and over the years I lost some of them.

Back
Top Bottom