Hoop Coop for Our Layer Flock

itsmatt

Songster
14 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Hi folks,
I just wanted to share some pictures of our layer flock's hoop coop. It is two years old now and has held up well. I wanted to make an integrated coop/run that would give them ample room to move about, plenty of fresh air and a draft-free environment in the winter. I also wanted to it to be human-friendly and predator-proof.

I bent the hoops myself - they are made from the top rail tubing for chain link fence. The ground "anchors" are EMT driven into the ground. The hoops are bolted into these. This is the same basic setup that I used for my hoop greenhouse.

The entire run is covered by welded wire fence and I've buried it under the ground all around the base. I don't have a "chicken door" - I could add one but we just slide the door open for them during the day and it works pretty well. I use 6 mil greenhouse plastic and shade cloth on the top year-round and can roll up the sides like I do on my greenhouse to increase ventilation 3 seasons of the year. I use wiggle wire to secure the plastic on the ends during the winter.

Make it a great day,
Matt

0721190733_HDR.jpg

1111191102c_HDR.jpg

0814192020.jpg

Very nice! I have a pipe bender and have used it to build a greenhouse from top rail as well. I have more pipe and plans for a second hoop house that will be for chickens. One thing is for sure it’s a lot stronger than cattle panels. The side vents look awesome and the shade cloth and wiggle wire are really nice features.

Wow, nice!
How the heck did you bend that pipe?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2867006
Re: location - Virginia :)

The pipe is galvanized top rail and is quite easy to bend against a wooden form. I did a bit of math to determine the arc I needed, used twine and a spike to create the radius and then tied a marker on the end and scribed it on a 4' scrap of 2x6. Cut that out, screw it to a 2x8 and there's the form. Bolt that down - I bolted it to my trailer and then added a piece of pipe strap to hold the top rail in place, use a thick walled emt to act as leverage and then pull against the form, move it a bit, rinse and repeat.

I'll write an article when life slows down. I have pics of all that.

Thanks muchly,
Matt

Back
Top Bottom