Hoop Coop in TX, I think it might have been a bad idea

Here's 5 off 50 expires Monday
Screenshot_20230507-080641.png

https://www.tarpsnow.com/blog/mesh-tarp-guide

Shade cloth, depending upon the % UV protection, can often provide a big reduction in temperature and still 'breathe'. I've bought from this company many times. Check out their clearance shade cloth section; lots of return items, remnants, etc of various sizes, some with grommets already on. Plus they have a variety of attachment hardware. https://www.farmtek.com/cat/ft-shade-cloth-material.html

I'm in the Hill Country--always a challenge to keep my girls cool!

I got the dunking from an article on the Chicken Chick website. I think the humidity is low enough today. I definitely understand what you are saying though, and I will keep an eye on that as well. The shade sail isn't a bad idea if I can get my husband to cement some poles we can hang it. So far, I have not found anything online that is helpful for keeping a hoop coop cool. It gets really windy where we are too.
We tried using a tarp at first, tying it to steel fence stakes we used to set up the run area. The stakes were driven down about 2-3 feet into the ground. Then we installed 1/2 inch chicken wire around the perimeter and set same out on ground level about 3feet surrounding the coop and run.
Rain storms and wind, along with the terrible heat in Texas as you described, absolutely ruined the tarp as a top or cover.
We hired a carpenter, who set 4x4 penta-treated posts every 4feet around the run perimeter, and I bought 8’x 2’ hard plastic corrugated sheets to comprise the roof. We do keep an electric fan near one end of the run to help with cool air circulation during the hot summers.
It all has worked well since. A photo is attached.
Good luck! Hope your issues all get resolved!
RJohnson77777

Attachments

• D4C025E9-6E7C-466D-A9BA-CD73074D9ED0.jpeg
    D4C025E9-6E7C-466D-A9BA-CD73074D9ED0.jpeg
    1,008.6 KB · Views: 20
My husband and I built a hoop coop that is mostly tarped with 1/4 of the hoop not tarped and the ends not tarped. I have 10 young pullets in it. I went out there a few minutes ago and it was 102 in there! The tarp is just trapping heat! Does anyone else have this problem? I dunked my girls in a bucket of water ( up to the neck)to cool them off. Texas gets HOT. Summer hasn't even started yet. I am not sure what to do keep it from trapping heat. Is there a certain tarp I should get? We have no trees either. Any ideas are appreciated.View attachment 3494052
Roll up the sides a little or stake them out and away from the bottom. Let air flow.

I’d say try adding insulation and raising the tarp up a couple inches on the bottom so air can get in. That’s rough that you don’t have any shade. Makes it much harder to cope with the heat! I got one of these misting kits last year, my kids and chickens loved it to cool off.

https://www.amazon.com/HOMENOTE-Mis...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
I was about to post about this - Justin Rhodes did an interview with a larger chicken producer who uses a mister in his (large) tractor. It's set with a thermostat that turns on when it gets hot. He said it drops the temperature 20 deg F. I bought a kit for this summer and will be installing it in my coop soon.

Back
Top Bottom