Hoop coops in extreme climates?

Easy to make a hoop structure survive snow load. Here's a couple pictures of how I built mine.
There's a tarp covering the back half. It's been on there for going on 4 yrs now, and still holding up well.

Do you think a tarp with holes cut for "windows" to allow easy airflow to work? I'm wondering if that might not be the easiest way to make the whole thing go.

Alternatively, I'm seeing a lot of hoop coops that put the ventilation very low, at ground level, with wholly covered areas at roost height. I'm not... sure what I think about that, either.

I built a hoop coop for our meat birds. They will be done using it next week and I plan to move it to a winter location and put some very young layers in it for the winter.
It has wheels on the inside so that you don't have to mess around with a lever system and has a flip up skirt around it for predator protection.
I can, with literally everything I have in me, move it on level ground, but I am stubborn. My husband won't even bother, he grabs the tractor, because he is smart. (We're a good combination.)
It currently has opaque green house plastic covering about 2 thirds and the back of it. I'm thinking about possibly getting a roll of rubber roofing to put over top of the entire top only. I'll leave the front completely open for ventilation. I'm thinking the black rubber will absorb some of the winter sun.
I am considering putting a wind break inside at maybe the back third of it for a little added protection, but where I'm going to put it is pretty sheltered.
I'll add nest boxes and roosts that can easily be removed, so I can use it again for meat birds.
@U_Stormcrow That was a really cool weather site you posted!

The problem with hoops coops, like Aframes, is that the 'roof' configuration makes it very difficult to have good ventilation that is protected from the weather, especially rain.

On my recent hoop tractor, I angled in the sides to allow ventilation with protection from the elements.
IMG_20221010_101506_870.jpg

IMG_20221010_101524_950.jpg

My 6 x 8 hoop coop greenhouse gets uncomfortable hot in the summer with the window and door wide open. It has a vent on the same end as the door and a window on the other end (Its only used to grow cuttings and seedlings) Raising the sides allows rain inside.Edit: Snow slides right off.

Attachments

• V__2F72(1).jpg
    V__2F72(1).jpg
    461 KB · Views: 8
I built a hoop coop for our meat birds. They will be done using it next week and I plan to move it to a winter location and put some very young layers in it for the winter.
It has wheels on the inside so that you don't have to mess around with a lever system and has a flip up skirt around it for predator protection.
I can, with literally everything I have in me, move it on level ground, but I am stubborn. My husband won't even bother, he grabs the tractor, because he is smart. (We're a good combination.)
It currently has opaque green house plastic covering about 2 thirds and the back of it. I'm thinking about possibly getting a roll of rubber roofing to put over top of the entire top only. I'll leave the front completely open for ventilation. I'm thinking the black rubber will absorb some of the winter sun.
I am considering putting a wind break inside at maybe the back third of it for a little added protection, but where I'm going to put it is pretty sheltered.
I'll add nest boxes and roosts that can easily be removed, so I can use it again for meat birds.
@U_Stormcrow That was a really cool weather site you posted!
You might want to reconsider using black rubber roofing.It will add considerable weight.

There is another way to add ventilation at the top of a hooped coop. You can run the tin panels up each side, leaving an opening at the top. Then build a modified gamble or monitor roof - 2x4" risers off the top w/ another sheet of tin.

There is a coop or tractor on this site with that. I can't remember the name or if it's a coop or tractor.

Yeah, I'm not even going to pretend I'm going to move the coop in the winter! Wherever it is by first snowfall is where it's staying until snowmelt, thank you very much. (This is going to be my second real winter after fifteen years in Georgia and Texas, so I'm very aware of my own limitations re snow. I should probably plan some contingencies with the door to make opening it easier in a couple feet of snow while I'm at it, too...)

The logistical aspects of a "windowed" covering vs a solid one did occur to me. I had figured I could always cut holes in a tarp tied over hardware cloth to achieve the effect, but obviously that's going to be potentially less sturdy than the metal option.
If you end up covering the coop to protect your flock from snow, maybe you can install your door so that it opens inward.

Back
Top Bottom