MarmaladeSings

Chirping
May 15, 2019
Northeast Kansas
Hello, all! I recently returned to raising chickens. Thirty years ago, when my children were babies, I had a flock in a static coop and run (which no longer exist). In May 2019, I purchased 11 chicks which are currently housed in a mobile pasturing system that I am very happy with; the Justin Rhodes Chickshaw 2.0 surrounded by Premier1 electric poultry netting. I am researching using a hoop house for extra winter protection for my mobile coop. The system would not be moved during the winter.

I would love to hear from you regarding what has worked/has not worked; including suggestion/links to hoop house designs.

Thanks!

Hello, all! I recently returned to raising chickens. Thirty years ago, when my children were babies, I had a flock in a static coop and run (which no longer exist). In May 2019, I purchased 11 chicks which are currently housed in a mobile pasturing system that I am very happy with; the Justin Rhodes Chickshaw 2.0 surrounded by Premier1 electric poultry netting. I am researching using a hoop house for extra winter protection for my mobile coop. The system would not be moved during the winter.

I would love to hear from you regarding what has worked/has not worked; including suggestion/links to hoop house designs.

Thanks!
Would be awesome if you could share your location with us to give you better advice. It is located under account settings. For winter your current setup would be fine for me.

Have a look see here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/chicken-coops.12/

Would be awesome if you could share your location with us to give you better advice. It is located under account settings. For winter your current setup would be fine for me.

Have a look see here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/chicken-coops.12/

Thanks for the quick response. I do agree my location would be helpful. I live in northeast Kansas, just west of Kansas City.

I have perused the chicken coop articles but am searching for specific hoop house suggestions to provide added winter protection for the chickshaw.

Quick response but I have a lack of answers for you as we only get Hurricanes and strong winds down here, @aart @WVduckchick might know more regarding this, and NFC was right on point!

No hurricanes for us, but we do experience high winds from time to time throughout the year. Deep South Texas is definitely a less harsh winter climate than in Northeast Kansas. I would like to continue using the Chickshaw over winter in some type of hoop house structure to provide additional protection.

Back
Top Bottom