Hoop Houses -Plus and Minuses

I have a question. I have tiny hoops for raised beds, btw I also did the frame and then tried to bend to fit. Took hours!) I want 2 hoop coops. One for roos and one for hens. Trying to save space. I can't afford the panels and have no way of even transporting any. I see them on CL all the time, but never in my price range. So I'm looking to make both from the PVC and HC.

My question really is lighting. I want to put lights out there, but I only have one plce to get juice from. Have any of you used the christmas lights like in the panel hoops on a PVC hoop with tarps? I'm just trying to figure out what to do that's safe. I'll hve to have my coops really close to take advantage of an extension cord, but I want to make sure I I don't catch it on fire or electrocute (sp) someone or something. Also are the roosts free standing?

Jake, I absolutely love my hoop run. I got the idea from Chooksaholic. DH was just talking about maybe doing another one next year. They hold up real well to the snow loads. You can see pics of mine by checking the link in my siggy.

we LOVE our hoop coops!
the one for the DP layers is 9'X16'
the one for the turkeys is 9'X20'

we will be building at least 2 more this spring (one for muscovys and one for meaties).

We used cattle panels and covered them with poultry netting (chicken wire) with the bottom three feet in hardware cloth (didn't feel the need to go with heavier wire since they are guarded by a livestock guardian dog as well as nite guard lights) and covered the tops with tarps

Ours are more of a permanent type structure (though you COULD drag them if you decided to.. they are pretty darn heavy) and we have a lot more birds in there than ladydoc does (I have around 100 birds not counting quail).
the cost ran between 300 & 350 per coop (I would need to pull out the figures for an exact price).. but regardless.. they have proven to be sturdy homes for our birds and should do great when the Texas heat hits next summer.

we were free ranging the birds but the predator losses were too high this past spring.. with the hoop coops we found an affordable solution to keeping the birds in one area where the lights and guardian dog could do their jobs. Plus now I can actually find the eggs without having to search our property for them!
smile.png
do you have pics

Love you hoop-coop.
Not trying to hi-jack this thread but I have a quetion about hoop coops. How do they work in a cold climate? Do the chickens get enough protection from wind and cold?
Hoop Houses can work just fine in cold climates. You just need to remember a few things, chickens can take cold better than wetness, so a tarp covering and placing the HH on well draining ground is essential. If you live in an area with a lot of snow, you will need to reinforce the hoops themselves, you can do this by adding extra 2x4 purlins, extra hoops etc. This will make the HH a little heavier. Also, when there is snow covering the ground, it is time to stop moving the HH for grazing if you are, and fill the bottom with bedding. The dry bedding and extra tarps are all the chooks really need to stay warm and dry during inclement weather. Also, picking the right cold hardy breeds is important too.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how big of a hoop house I would need for 30-35 chickens? I am so excited I discovered hoop houses! My last coop was so hard to build and very pricey now I'm moving and I doubt I can even take the stupid thing with me without completely dismantling it.

Back
Top Bottom