Hoop Houses -Plus and Minuses

Does anyone know how big of a hoop house I would need for 30-35 chickens? I am so excited I discovered hoop houses! My last coop was so hard to build and very pricey now I'm moving and I doubt I can even take the stupid thing with me without completely dismantling it.

Mine is an 8x10 for a sq. ft space for 20 birds at 4 sq ft. per bird. I'd go with a 10x12 for that many birds. I often wish I had went with that size anyway, just for more walking around room in the coop.

This is mine...first two pics of of its current position and the other pics are right after it was first completed. I hadn't added roosts yet then.

Outside nest box access.

Side view...the flaps stay raised during all the warm months and are dropped for the colder ones, of course.

Nest boxes out of plastic totes.

To answer the OP question about pros and cons...

Pros:

Versatility...there is something to fasten things to at every point and angle in this coop.
Ventilation...plenty and easy to adjust at any given time for winter living.
Strength and durability....snows, rains, gale force winds that uproot trees..nothing even makes this thing tremble. With the right wire overlay, only a bear could get into this coop.
Looks...reminds me of quonset huts or hobbit houses, neat and could be really dressed up if one wanted to go there.
Mobility... easier to move than wooden coops of this size.
Cost...best of all...cheap compared to most construction
Ease of build...even a woman with rudimentary carpentry skills and simple tools can build one..did this one in 10 days. Easy days, easy build. Would also be easy to deconstruct and reuse the materials.

Cons:

Low ceiling...wish I had more height sometimes.
Limited width of coop... one is limited to a certain width of coop due to the panel sizes being pretty standard.
Type of material...sometimes I miss wood. Sometimes a person would like to have something to which they could nail or staple things.

Last edited:
Hey!!!
frow.gif
Good to see you, too!!

I am getting to build a couple of hoop houses my last one ended up getting repurposed into a green house. Any details or insider info you would care to share. We are going to build an 8x12 and an 8x16 the latter will be a new greenhouse.

I have a traditional coop but it is backed up to a cedar lattice hoop run. I love it because I can stand in the middle and reach everything in need to without being monsterous. In the winter I cover it with plastic and it becomes like a non-humid greenhouse. The snow slides right off. In the summer I remove the plastic and it lets in dappled sunlight so the girls dont bake. A winter bonus: To alleviate predators and because I wanted it to look pretty, I did raised beds all around the outside of the run. If I include these beds when I drape the plastic, many of my annuals will overwinter.

That sounds perfect! Can you post a pic of your hoop run and the raised beds? It sure would be a great idea for others to follow..and think about how much nutrients from the run is leaching into those growing beds!

Back
Top Bottom