Hooping it up!

So I got a WHOLE lot done today.

Look how crooked it was!

Grabbed a scrap piece of wood and put it under one of the front legs and BOOM!

Sadly I broke two of the window panes :( Good thing glass is cheap, going to have 6 cut for a fresh window (repaint and caulking of course). Not sure if I am going to make it hinged or not.

So, a question on nest boxes, I am only having 3 chickens. I have spaced out 3 12" wide sections for 3 nest boxes. Is that too small? The height is going to be around 18-19" inches high or so (you can see the cut out for the nest boxes on the farthest wall). Thoughts?

Last edited:
Great to know! I wasn't sure if they each needed their own little spots....lol. That opens up a LITTLE bit more room in the coop as well. Thanks!

Another question for everyone:

How do you close the gaps in a dog fence gate?? I want to be able to use the gate obviously to get into the run, but I am not sure how to seal the gaps around the door in the chain link. Would a coon be able to squeeze through a small gap? We live dead in the city, so I am not worried about weasels or anything like that. I am trying to invision hardware cloth attached to the door larger than the door to cover the gaps up top/bottom, but they won't be strong as I cannot connect them to the frame obviously.

Tips? Tricks?

Another question for everyone:

How do you close the gaps in a dog fence gate?? I want to be able to use the gate obviously to get into the run, but I am not sure how to seal the gaps around the door in the chain link. Would a coon be able to squeeze through a small gap? We live dead in the city, so I am not worried about weasels or anything like that. I am trying to invision hardware cloth attached to the door larger than the door to cover the gaps up top/bottom, but they won't be strong as I cannot connect them to the frame obviously.

Tips? Tricks?
I used a pine board attached with heavy duty zip ties, no heads out and no hands in.

I was thinking of just making the entire door out of wood, replacing the chain link altogether.
However, the opening is curved, and I am not the best with cutting wood accurately...lol

Quick shot here. Got some free press board and started skinning the coop!

Finally broke down and bought some new plywood after a week or so of unsuccessful hunting for free plywood.

The outside walls will have pallet slat siding, so don't pay attention to any crooked spots....lol. The two "holes" on the ramp side will be for vents.

Finally got the final floor in (one piece vinyl coming from leftover kitchen project)

Crooked nest box is done....LOL. Still needs some tweaking on the edges as it's a bit too snug right now. Top will be hinged of course.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom