Hooray! Girl Leaves Westboro But Still Tragic What They Teach Children

deb1

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
NC
This youtube clip is both tragic and joyful. I am so happy that the young woman understood the hate that her family preaches is wrong. At the end of the video she shows the type of compassion and forgiveness for her parents that Christians are supposed to show. But the hate that the young children are taught and the danger that their parents put them in is disgusting.

The comments that follow the video have some remarks that I think must be from Westboro Baptist followers.

Last edited:
Isn't that just tragic. My DH had a friend he worked with, that was quite abit older than us at the time, that was getting a divorce from his wife and brought a lot of stuff to be stored at our house. He told DH that there was pictures in one of the metal cases that he thought he would find very interesting. There was at least 40 pics of a camp down in one of the southern states, of a Nazi camp. It showed how they did hand to hand combat, their "belief" meetings, ceremonies or whatever . . .scared me to death to think that is going on right here in this country. This video and the way they talked and carried those horrible signs made me think instantly of that camp. I am all for freedom of speech, and the right to worship . . . but do we think our founding fathers really thought this was what this would lead too? I doubt it. The Bible says God is a loving and forgiving God . . .and that is not what these fanatics are teaching. All they are teaching is hate, plain and simple. Scary and so sad. So glad the oldest got out, hope when the other kids see her, the older ones, it might make them think about leaving too.

I hope that the others leave also.

It seems that it should be illegal to take the children on protests that the parents know will turn violent. That is risking the kids lives.

There have been a few extremist groups like that in the world, the ones that get too powerful have always ended in terror, destruction, and murder.

Unfortunately Fred Phelps and his "church" have been here in our state for a long time. They picket anything and everything from soldier's funerals to college sporting events. They are a sick, sick group. Some motorcycle guys started the Patriot Guard and they come to the soldier's funerals and act as a blockade between the protestors and the soldier's families. I realize the state can't police what "religious" beliefs a parent teaches their children , but what they do should be a crime. I'm embarrassed they're from my state.

That is so sad! How can any religious group preach so much hate? What happened to the scripture about not judging your fellow man? Why do they stay in the US if they hate it so much? What a sad way to live.

Quote:
Ironically, I don't think that they would have the same freedom to protest in other countries. Online I have talked to European posters who were surprised that we didn't have limits on hate speech like they do.

I don't want to stop their freedom of speech. It would be good if laws were passed to prevent parents from taking children to protests that the parent knew was going to be violent. There is no way that the Phelps aren't aware of the hatred that they inspire in others. One day some angry person might erupt and kill one of their kids. If that happens the Phelps should be found guilty of child endangerment because they would be partially responsible for their own children's deaths.

What I find both sad and inspiring in the report is that the young lady said that she forgave her parents. She did not want to be part of their hatred anymore but she still loved them. Her parents though were gleeful about disowning her. They expressed no sadness. That is crazy.

Last edited:
They probably stay here because we're one of the only countries that would let them get away with it. Children are protected from physical and mental abuse, but I think that should also include brainwashing and anything thats going to ruin the kids chance of a normal happy life like this. Adults are able to make desisions and think (or not think) for themselves, but kids dont have a choice.

Back
Top Bottom