Turkeys 101 - New To Turkeys (What Do I Need To Know?)

So, I am in southern middle TN. We don't have 14 hrs of daylight yet, but My turkeys are beginning to breed. Doesn't that mean eggs will start soon? They were born last May. I've just never seen fowl breed too much before eggs start and we are supposed to start getting enough light in 4 weeks. Thoughts?

So, I am in southern middle TN. We don't have 14 hrs of daylight yet, but My turkeys are beginning to breed. Doesn't that mean eggs will start soon? They were born last May. I've just never seen fowl breed too much before eggs start and we are supposed to start getting enough light in 4 weeks. Thoughts?

I am in Wyoming. I saw my first confirmed turkey mating this morning. My turkeys usually start breeding about one month before they start laying eggs. My turkeys typically start laying eggs about the middle of March and start breeding about the middle of February.

I have two baby Turkeys and 12 baby chicks. Do you or anyone out there have a complete First Aid or Medical Kit that you recommend for Turkeys? Are they all interchangeable with Chickens and if not, do you have a list for Chickens as well? I had an Emergency with one of my baby chicks and learned being prepared is half the battle to help them quickly toward recovery.
Thank you.

I'm looking for a smallish Turkey breed that is recognized by the APA that would be docile and good for 4H. I've looked at Royal Palms, but can't find them anywhere, not even online. Any help would be stellar! :D

I'm looking for a smallish Turkey breed that is recognized by the APA that would be docile and good for 4H. I've looked at Royal Palms, but can't find them anywhere, not even online. Any help would be stellar! :D
Royal Palm poults are available online through various hatcheries. I purchased my poults last year from McMurray Hatchery. There are other hatcheries that also have them. All of the hatcheries will be out of stock until next spring due to turkeys being seasonal layers. Check your local craigslist and check with the local feed stores to see if they can put you in touch with local turkey owners.

I'm trying to find show quality birds, not for meat, and only want 2-3 females. R any of those hatcheries good for that?

Back
Top Bottom