Hoover’s Hatchery Heritage Turkey Variety Pack

Well I did something stupid. I figured one way to get all of the poults to eat was to give them live mealworms, they became energetic and had fun chasing and pulling and eating. Well, mealworms have a tough exo skeleton, and I’m not even sure the “mealworms” I bought were actually mealworms, but rather, larger super worms. That’s besides the point, they are a day shy of 1 week old and they should not be getting treats. If raised by a mother turkey the might eat these but I’m still nervous. One enlarged crop so I offered chick grit, did I just kill my remaining poults?

did I just kill my remaining poults?

Probably not, but you will know for sure in a few days. I think it was a reasonable thing to try, but you're right that eating their normal food would be best for them at this age.

I figured one way to get all of the poults to eat...

Baby chickens often love wet food (the normal starter food plus water). You could try that for your turkey poults-- just put a little bit in a jar lid, or on a flat board, or even on your hand. If they like it, you've got an easy treat. And if they don't like it, you haven't wasted too much time & materials trying it. (Only serve a little at once, because they will probably trample it down into a flat mess that they cannot easily eat-- which is wasteful but not dangerous.)

Their normal food should be equally nutritious wet or dry, so it doesn't much matter which way they eat it.

Last edited:
Well I gave them access to chick grit (ground granite) and the have pooped a whole lot so far.

The ducklings have been on just puppy pads as well but it’s definitely time for them to go on pellets (I usually put them in day 1),
can the week old poults also go on wood pellets, I was going to wait till 2 weeks but even with 5 little poults in 4x3 gets pooped real fast.

Wood pellets are 100% Alaskan hardwood moisture or pressure condensed no additives. The turn into sawdust when wet and sink to the bottom (useful because they expose a fresh layer)

Well I gave them access to chick grit (ground granite) and the have pooped a whole lot so far.

The ducklings have been on just puppy pads as well but it’s definitely time for them to go on pellets (I usually put them in day 1),
can the week old poults also go on wood pellets, I was going to wait till 2 weeks but even with 5 little poults in 4x3 gets pooped real fast.

Wood pellets are 100% Alaskan hardwood moisture or pressure condensed no additives. The turn into sawdust when wet and sink to the bottom (useful because they expose a fresh layer)
As long as you are giving the poults access to grit it should be okay.

We've recently started raising turkeys. 4 weeks in now. We use peat moss for the bedding. Switched from shavings after losing 2. ☹ All 7 are happy and doing well. They aren't heritage but I think the next batch we will do all heritage.

Update: A friend decided to help me out by grabbing pellets on the way out, however they showed up with natural plain pellets, however the bag does not specify what kind of wood. I prefer hardwood pellets over soft, and avoid pine/cedar at all cost. I didn’t want to be a d so I used them. Things are a lot cleaner and so far no one is eating them. They have access to grit, turkeys have sensitive respiratory systems so the chance of pine worries me. Yes I know a lot of people here swear by pine shavings but I think they are pricey for an ill absorbent, poop layered, sharp, splintery mess.

Update: A friend decided to help me out by grabbing pellets on the way out, however they showed up with natural plain pellets, however the bag does not specify what kind of wood. I prefer hardwood pellets over soft, and avoid pine/cedar at all cost. I didn’t want to be a d so I used them. Things are a lot cleaner and so far no one is eating them. They have access to grit, turkeys have sensitive respiratory systems so the chance of pine worries me. Yes I know a lot of people here swear by pine shavings but I think they are pricey for an ill absorbent, poop layered, sharp, splintery mess.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/la-crete-pellet-wood-pellet-fuel/1000827782

Curious how they made it! Hope all is well
All is well still, they serve the same purpose as the usual pellets. Odor and moisture absorbent, no more brooder smell in the garage. Whenever the pellets get soiled they fluff and sink to the bottom, exposing a fresh clean layer. The water stays on top of a cookie rack on a shoe pan, so no brooder soup.

All is well still, they serve the same purpose as the usual pellets. Odor and moisture absorbent, no more brooder smell in the garage. Whenever the pellets get soiled they fluff and sink to the bottom, exposing a fresh clean layer. The water stays on top of a cookie rack on a shoe pan, so no brooder soup.
I feel like I would be able to smell the pine if there was any…

Back
Top Bottom