Hoover Hatchery

kaywould

Songster
5 Years
Nov 17, 2014
South Carolina
I've had egg laying chickens for a few years but decided to try meat chickens for the first time. When searching for the cheapest place to buy cornish x broiler chicks I came across Hoovers Hatchery. I was able to buy 30 chicks (Cornish Cross Broiler Chicks unsexed) for $55. That included shipping ($1.83 per chick including shipping). That was a significantly better price than I found anywhere else, including my local Tractor Supply (though I've never been there when they had more than 6 cornish x chicks). Before buying them I tried to read some reviews but I couldn't find much info on them. The 30 chicks arrived today and all of them are alive and appear to be healthy. Looking forward to the adventure of the next 6-8 weeks. For anybody looking for a good price on meat chicks, I couldn't find a better price and I had no issues with shipping. Here is a picture of them after opening the box at home before putting them in the brooder.

Hopefully you don't experience many deaths once they get settled in. I used Hoover's last year and have mixed feelings on them, I have no experience with their Cornish x as I got rainbows and rangers and 25 ISA browns, the layers were fine but I did have what I thought was a lot of losses on the meat birds, somewhere around 15 total most in the first week. Also some has deformed feet, curled toes etc which didn't seem to hurt the birds but it's still leads me to believe their stock isn't great, wherever they were getting it from. They do have good prices and they did refund me for the losses I reported and were easy to deal with. I will likely give them another try this year on meat birds, if it turns out the same I will look elsewhere. I am wanting to try central hatchery out of Nebraska next time I do a larger amount of Cornish cross they have the best prices I have found and are supposed to have decent stock.

On the Hoover's order I did have one dead on arrival, and of the 75 chicks I ordered I didn't get any extras which I fealt was quite odd.

Last edited:
Hopefully you don't experience many deaths once they get settled in. I used Hoover's last year and have mixed feelings on them, I have no experience with their Cornish x as I got rainbows and rangers and 25 ISA browns, the layers were fine but I did have what I thought was a lot of losses on the meat birds, somewhere around 15 total most in the first week. Also some has deformed feet, curled toes etc which didn't seem to hurt the birds but it's still leads me to believe their stock isn't great, wherever they were getting it from. They do have good prices and they did refund me for the losses I reported and we're ready to deal with. I will likely give them another try this year on meat birds, if it turns out the same I will look elsewhere. I am wanting to try central hatchery out of Nebraska next time I do a larger amount of Cornish cross they have the best prices I have found and are supposed to have decent stock.

On the Hoover's order I did have one dead on arrival, and of the 75 chicks I ordered I didn't get any extras which I fealt was quite odd.

I got one extra and none dead. I have also had catastrophic loses, but I blame that on them all getting soaking wet (no idea how it happened it is like something sprayed water over all of them (I have replaced the waterer )) and unable to get warm again. I managed to rescue 12 but have lost most of them still slowly. I am giving them another try, as I have heard good things about them and really feel it was bad luck or bad design on my part not the bird stock. But if have similar losses again I will let you all know.

I bought Cornish x at Welp Hatchery. Best price I could find. $1.71 per chick for 50 included shipping. I won't get them till April. Which is as I planned because I will be out of town in Mexico for a week and don't want them before that.

I know this is an old thread just want to update my previous post on Hoover's hatchery, I just received an order of 75 chicks yesterday CX rangers and a few red sex link pullets, all are thriving no DOAs, customer service has been good, prices are good, I'm going to stick with Hoover's.

Back
Top Bottom