Hoover Isabella Leghorn

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
New for 2021, and they only have the one picture on their website.
https://hoovershatchery.com/isabellaleghorn.html
Isabella Leghorn Website.png

Not looking for APA show quaility, but does the picture raise any red flags that it's not actually Isabella coloring? Anything that I should know that would make me reconsider ordering chicks (frailtt, poor generics, ect.)

I think Cackle hatchery was the first to carry them, they may have even had some small part in developing the variety. They used to have them but they had some problems with chick survivability in shipping so I guess they took a break, they no longer carry them. I have Isabella leghorns and they're... fine. They come with the same problems you have in pretty much all large fowl lavender birds in the US—serious feather quality issues. Because of the dilution of the gold duckwing pattern you have problems with "wing patch" in males in addition to the feather fray. They are decent layers of large off-white eggs. They are generally considerably larger and "meatier" than regular commercial leghorn lines, more on par with my standardbred browns.

I think Cackle hatchery was the first to carry them, they may have even had some small part in developing the variety. They used to have them but they had some problems with chick survivability in shipping so I guess they took a break, they no longer carry them. I have Isabella leghorns and they're... fine. They come with the same problems you have in pretty much all large fowl lavender birds in the US—serious feather quality issues. Because of the dilution of the gold duckwing pattern you have problems with "wing patch" in males in addition to the feather fray. They are decent layers of large off-white eggs. They are generally considerably larger and "meatier" than regular commercial leghorn lines, more on par with my standardbred browns.
What's wing patch?

Back
Top Bottom