Hope I did the right thing......

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by edster951, Oct 2, 2007.

1. edster951

edster951 Chillin' With My Peeps

Our chicken, called Peanut, suddenly went ill.

She appeared OK two days ago when I fed them, but this afternoon when my son went to feed them, said she was unwell. She just lay in the nest, eyes closed, bluey tinge to her comb and wattles, beak open gasping slowly with her tongue going in and out. She looked like she was having difficulty breathing.

I rang the vet who suggested a few things like eggbound, shocked, old age, tumour.

I checked her out and thought the old age was more significant for her. She has always been the easy one to catch, she just stands there and never resists being held. Some days she would just stand in the sun tail drooping, but never ususally looked unwell. She acted like an old girl.

She just looked awful, so I culled her. Had a cry.

BTW We have only had the chickens for a year, (second hand so to speak), and this was my first cull.[​IMG]

Eddie

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Eddie, it is always hard, but a responsibility we chicken owners must take on in order to sometimes do the right thing for the bird. Im very sorry about Peanut.

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Eddie,

Sorry to hear about your Peanut. [​IMG]

On a brighter note, Welcome to BYC!

Dawn

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Yes, if you suspected old age and she was in decline for a while, you did the best thing for her. It certainly was hard for you, so we know you didn't do it out of convenience for yourself. We'll all have to do that ourselves someday, if we haven't already.

Hope you feel better and that your other chooks cheer you up.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I also am so sorry to hear about Peanut...you did the right thing to end her suffering....

6. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I'm sorry about your little Peanut. It's a hard thing to do, but it sounds like you made the only choice.

7. edster951

edster951 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the fast replies...

I'm not that new to BYC...I was a member on the old forum about a year ago when I got these girls.

I remember speckled hen from then, when I had chicks, who BTW, turned into roos so we sold them. We had one more chick who just started layig this month.

We get to bury Peanut today when my son gets up.....didn't tell him I culled her, gonna say she died in her sleep peacefully.

Eddie

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  8. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I think you did the right thing. I can only imagine how hard it was! [​IMG]

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm sorry that you had to cull Peanut...[​IMG]

10. PeiTheCelt

PeiTheCelt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2007
    Central NY
    You absolutely did the right thing. *hugs* I'm really sorry..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by