Hope This Saves A Turkey From Blackhead

Pics
I am ordering the Fish Zole to have on hand when/if Blackhead strikes my new turkey poult. Because it is meant to dissolve, do I dissolve it in water or do I give the tab to her straight down her throat? I prefer to give her the tab as it decreases who else might get it in their water, but I'm not sure if that is appropriate when it is Fish Zole. THANKS!
Just put in in their mouth once a day for five days. The "official" dose per the AAAP Avian disease manual is 30mg/kg, but many people give way more than that and don't seem to have any trouble. You also need to worm with something like Safeguard (fenbendazole) to kill the cecal worm.

Just put in in their mouth once a day for five days. The "official" dose per the AAAP Avian disease manual is 30mg/kg, but many people give way more than that and don't seem to have any trouble. You also need to worm with something like Safeguard (fenbendazole) to kill the cecal worm.
I use Valbazen, versus Safeguard. Should I switch or does they do the same job? (I use Ivermectin, too, for mites and lice.)

I use Valbazen, versus Safeguard. Should I switch or does they do the same job? (I use Ivermectin, too, for mites and lice.)
Valbazen and Safeguard will take care of the cecal worm if dosed correctly.

I have thought about using Valbazen since it will also get tapeworms, but I cannot find any dosing info from a veterinary source. The closest I have found is a paper written about a study done on some broiler chickens that showed the most effective dose was 20mg/kg.

FYI, Valbazen can cause death in pigeon, doves and crias and aplastic anemia in other animals.

-Kathy

I use ivermectin as well. I also use wazine. I was wondering the same thing. We also do de dusted in the coops and nest boxes.
I'm not sure how effective Ivermectin is in controlling cecal and other worms, so I only use it for mites. Wazine does not kill anything but the roundworm.

I am ordering the Fish Zole to have on hand when/if Blackhead strikes my new turkey poult.  Because it is meant to dissolve, do I dissolve it in water or do I give the tab to her straight down her throat?  I prefer to give her the tab as it decreases who else might get it in their water, but I'm not sure if that is appropriate when it is Fish Zole.  THANKS!

Just put in in their mouth once a day for five days. The "official" dose per the AAAP Avian disease manual is 30mg/kg, but many people give way more than that and don't seem to have any trouble. You also need to worm with something like Safeguard (fenbendazole) to kill the cecal worm.

x2

Back
Top Bottom