Hope This Saves A Turkey From Blackhead

I wanted to mark this thread to hear about follow ups. I've been dealing with all the symptoms you speak of for three days.

I am extremely thankful for your post about cayenne. I had read several times ppl using it as a dewormer or prevention but had no idea what blackhead was or how they got it or how to treat it. No one in my town or surrounding area can help or provide me with any medications. I have been using colloidal silver and some homeopathic remedies with great success but am very grateful to follow that up with a good strong hit of cayenne in their water (one with cayenne and one with ACV) and also in their food. They are looking much much better. They have mostly stopped hunching over, are eating and drinking but you can tell they still are not 100%. I look forward to watching them the next few days with the aid of mucho doses of cayenne.

Thanks again for raising my spirits.

I think the cayenne has extended the life of the birds because from what I've read, once symptoms present, it kills pretty quickly and they've all been symptomatic for a week to ten days. But, one in particular is extremely skinny and although they cayenne has bought us more time, I don't think it's effective enough for advanced cases in youI nger birds (mine are only c. 10 weeks old). I'm going to go and give them their morning dose of the metronidazole now. Fingers crossed they're all still breathing.

And thanks so much for the info on the metronidazole. I'm feeling optimistic, really optimistic now. I was kinda thinking that I was clinging onto unrealistic hope but it sounds like this really is an effective med. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Just wanted to let everyone know that two days worth of metronidazole has resulted in a massive improvement of the condition of my birds. One even strutted earlier!!! I'm so grateful to this thread!

Does anyone know how to make sure they don't get it again? Will continually dusting their feed with cayenne protect them? I've been putting cider vinegar in their water too.

Thanks for the update with good news
cool.png

Please revive this thread with further updates (continuing to improve - relapsing - hope not) as this disease, though not `endemic' everywhere, is of perennial interest.

Thanks!

My turkeys are all healthy and thriving. I gave them massive doses of cayenne and started apple cider vinegar. Now just a dusting of cayenne and still use vinegar.

My turkeys are all still doing really well. One still is quite dark in the head region and is lighter that all the others but even he is showing huge improvement and his neck nodules are all pinking up. I hope his head will follow suit soon too!

Someone mentioned "safeguard" as a preventative. What is this and what's the active ingredient? I'm in the UK and haven't found any information when googling. TIA.

Quote:
Yes, I would like to know, too. When doing a google search, it brings up a lot of things -- some kind of IT company, various other companies, and of course, the bath soap, but nothing that seems related to fowl.

You aren't feeding them soap, are you?
lol.png

I'm pretty sure safeguard is the most common brand that makes DE. (Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth)

This morning brings turkeys with more black on their heads. They are 10 weeks old and don't really have bumpy things on their heads yet.

Since I began treating with colodial silver, homeopathic sulfer, acv and cayanne the yellow poop has gone from runny squirts to soft solid and brown with a cap of yellow. The birds are eating plenty and drinking well. Diving for treats and socializing. Today they are moving a bit slower but there is more black on the back of their neck.

Can anyone tell me "IF" I can keep them reletivly healthy doing the things above will they gain weight and will they be suitable for human consumption? Truthfully I am getting so attached to the turkeys I'm not sure I could eat them but would consider keeping them over the winter (if they live in Alberta cold) and hopefully having them go broody.

Does cayanne manage the protozoa or can it wipe it out completely?

Hi Melanie!

I just read this wonderful article, and I'm a new turkey owner, raising my two turkey poults with chickens.....The breeder I bought them from said he has never had a problem, and he lives in my area. I will remember fishzole and cayenne powder now forever! In fact, I'm going to keep the cayenne handy for just such an emergency!

Wonderful news!

Thank you,
Sharon

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom