hoping for new set of eggs

jhandha

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 10, 2014
hi guys.. i have 1 pair of pigeons and they were able to raise thier young..
the young is now 1 month and 10 days and is able to fly already..
it seems they are still very attached to their young
when should i expect new set of eggs?
what should i do to make my pair of pigeon mate again? plzz help me

It's been my experience that pigeon 'children' are ungrateful free loaders! If left to their own devices they'd never move out of the birthing nest. When I've needed a pair of mine to lay more eggs quicker than they normally would, I'd have to literally remove either them or the 'babies' from their area. Sometimes setting them (the mates) in a smaller cage within my larger run.

oh i see.. ill try that one..

can u give me some advice for me to maximize breeding my first pair?

currently i have 3 pigeons and i dont have the resources to buy one to be pair of their young..

hi guys.. i have 1 pair of pigeons and they were able to raise their young..
the young is now 1 month and 10 days and is able to fly already..
it seems they are still very attached to their young
when should i expect new set of eggs?
It is getting late in the breeding season with declining daylight hours and cooler temperatures you may have to wait until the February rains.
what should i do to make my pair of pigeon mate again? plzz help me
You could possible introduce supplementary lighting.
I used an old Styrofoam cooler when one pair of pigeons hatched squabs on December 26 (that is uncommon in my loft that late in the year.)
I put the nest bowl in this when they could no longer cover the squabs and keep them warm. I live in Canada (think NORTH POLE.)

Last edited:
The artificial and/or supplemental lighting is a great idea. Where I live, my birds lay eggs pretty much year round, but they don't always hatch. Sometimes they're fertile and sometimes they're not. So basically this means that although the female is making and laying eggs, the pair are not actually 'mating' so no embryos are formed.
Are your birds inside or outside and where are you located?

Breed/standard type of breed (there are great differences even in each), perching, heat, feed, light (lack or or too much), access or lack of to more out of way area, can all be factores. mine like hardware wire, bricks or blocks for perches if ground birds, one by ones etc square perches as opposed to round. i can feed straight wild bird feed fine, but my birds are flown so absorb nutrition better and access to other (they eat bugs greens berries fruit open on ground flower parts, grit n gravel/stones, etc). my birds breed right through moult, but some peoples stop for months before and after (my chickens still laying in moult too), and start up good once gets colder and darker, birds of others some said do opposite. Others's birds breed so many rounds then spent for long time in 24" 24" 24". mine will breed n rear healthy young from healthy adults in 40" 40" 40" with two nest bowls so parents can naturally stagger young (two weeks about after one round hatches, eggs layed in other nest n repeat, mother caring mostly for young till she lays again than daddy takes turn finally, and lack of natural process causes many heartachs fanciers see when breeding each pair in 24" 24" 24" with single nest even in such small place as to stop propper exercising each). I've let mine breed for whole year my method no trouble unless get heat spike and parents temp stop feeding young for possiblly maybe a week.

@laughingdog ...
...it sure does sound like you've got a good thing going on with a system in place and a nice loft !!!

I'm running with somewhere between 15 and 25 birds at the moment, depending on how many babies I have, so my setup is certainly smaller than many folks', but I enjoy it and with all the other animals I have, it's manageable. I have my birds outside in an large aviary 24/7/365. I used to let them out all the time but stopped doing that when I didn't think my heart could take one more fatality. Apparently we have some predators here that are impervious to any of my safety counter measures, so, for now at least, the only flying they get is in their pen. Fortunately it's large enough for them to get plenty of exercise. I totally agree with you on all the variables that go into managing and breeding pigeons! There are some people here that live only 10 minutes from me that have the hardest time keeping their flock going in the winter, and yet here I am still trying to sell babies off come Christmas...lol !!! It just goes to show you that you can't predict the outcome of things when you're dealing with Mother Nature. Enjoy!

Yes definitely, as thought young would again maybe be culled by bops but flights still harassing and making bops assume all pigeons are fast and aggressive. bops again dive at chickens every now and then, n scare half to death runner ducks, but hardly prob since released the runners to roam with scovy (scovy hate hawks and attack them when dove at and run n even fly off). My system actually probaly only temp happy accidentally realistically. the cages are rabbit rack type setups and chicken coops, but work better believe for pigeons. I'm waiting for the gawse hawk to return to ward off other bops, as may lose a duck that they seem keen on most, but they care not at all about my pigeons.

Back
Top Bottom