Hoping for some help

Muscovy ducks are not a protected species in a lot of states. Wild native birds species including coots and mallards are protected. Feral muscovies are not. Those kids may not have broken a single law.
Most likely they didn't ,but really sad they would take them from their mother, and maybe not even know how to care for them properly or even be prepared to care for them and the poor littles would die because of it. I commend the OP for stepping in and possibly saving them.

I don't really think they broke the law. I called the golf course to make sure they didn't want them back since I guess they're technically theirs. I just got them because a) they brought them to school b) they brought them in their pockets c) they had no food for water for an entire school day and d) they were feeding them bread and even I know that's bad.

They are eating the flock raiser. I need to figure out the water. I just had a super shallow dish in there but apparently that isn't good. I see cut tupperwsres but doesn't that make for sharp edges? I'm scared of sharp edges with birds.

I don't really think they broke the law. I called the golf course to make sure they didn't want them back since I guess they're technically theirs. I just got them because a) they brought them to school b) they brought them in their pockets c) they had no food for water for an entire school day and d) they were feeding them bread and even I know that's bad.

They are eating the flock raiser. I need to figure out the water. I just had a super shallow dish in there but apparently that isn't good. I see cut tupperwsres but doesn't that make for sharp edges? I'm scared of sharp edges with birds.
I've used them with mine for years and never had any problems you can also use a milk jug and cut holes in the side. I'd think if the ducklings didn't have feathers then they may have a problem with the cut outs but those feathers protect them.

IMG_3860.jpg
more info https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/duck-raisinghousing

Last edited:
Hi again. One of the babies seems to have the sniffles. He is sneezing. Only a handful of times. There does seem to be some clear liquid by his nostrils. He's as active as the other one. What do I need to do for him? I'm so used to wild birds. Normally Id give a round of baytril and hope for the best. No idea what works for the ducks.

Hi again. One of the babies seems to have the sniffles. He is sneezing. Only a handful of times. There does seem to be some clear liquid by his nostrils. He's as active as the other one. What do I need to do for him? I'm so used to wild birds. Normally Id give a round of baytril and hope for the best. No idea what works for the ducks.
What are you using for their water? can they dunk their heads? sometime bedding and feed is dusty and can cause sneezing and stuffiness, and clear liquid could just mean he drank alot of water and some is running out of the nares. Before the Baytril try putting so ACV into their water 1 Tab to 1 gal. It can kill off some bacteria and is a great all round tonic. Unless you notice his/hers symptoms getting worse then start the antibiotic but I'd use it as a last resort.

Just to be sure... ACV is Apple cider vinegar right? I don't want to be vinegaring them if that's not right ;)

I made them a waterer out of a vinegar jug. It's pretty deep. They should be able to gets their heads all the way in.
I had been putting paper towels under their good and water dishes just because they're sooooooooo messy. Is that a problem? They haven't chewed on it at all and I don't think it's dusty but I'm not sure.
When we had ducks as kids it all seemed so easy. They're totally not easy. I haven't stopped worrying in days.

Just to be sure... ACV is Apple cider vinegar right? I don't want to be vinegaring them if that's not right
wink.png

I made them a waterer out of a vinegar jug. It's pretty deep. They should be able to gets their heads all the way in.
I had been putting paper towels under their good and water dishes just because they're sooooooooo messy. Is that a problem? They haven't chewed on it at all and I don't think it's dusty but I'm not sure.
When we had ducks as kids it all seemed so easy. They're totally not easy. I haven't stopped worrying in days.
Sounds like your doing a great job, and there is alot of responsibility when raising youngsters whether baby animals or human.
wink.png
So worrying is normal.
You could think about some kind of tray under the vinegar jug to to catch the excess water, and a nice thick towel on top of the tray you then can replace the towel wash and re use. They are messy love playing in the water. Hopefully it's just a bit of dust.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom