Hoping for some Spring chickens!

Chickinatree

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 25, 2013
Hi there! We just recently gained the ability to keep chickens in Holly Springs Georgia and we're going to pick up 3-5 in the spring. Hoping to start working on the coop here soon; we are clearing a couple trees and re-modeling a small shed in our back yard to house them. I have so many questions but have already had so many answered by the knowledgeable members on this forum, so thank you! I will be reading up a ton here in the upcoming months about what breeds would suit us best as well as how best to keep our backyard dogs away from the Ladies!
yesss.gif

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! If you post pics of your shed in the Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance we can offer ideas and suggestions, if you like. Have a browse through the Breeds section to see what's available (and yes, you can keep different breeds together
wink.png
). For the dogs, there are quite a few discussions on that topic here! Type keywords like "train dog" into the search bar above for them. Enjoy the site!

Welcome to BYC! I would post in your state's thread regarding which breeds local people raise, https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you and regarding the dogs you either have to keep dogs locked up or the chickens locked up, I learned the hard way when my Boston Terrier killed my whole flock. When building your coop/run, make sure to use 1/4" hardware cloth which is a very strong mesh wire instead of chicken wire, which keeps chickens in but almost any animal can break thru it. Oh one more thing be sure to visit the Learning Center https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center lots of good info there. Good luck to you.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Liz speaks the truth - please do not try to introduce the dogs to the chickens by holding a chick out to them. The dog thinks you are offering a treat and that will be the start of them devouring your flock. Dogs are listed in a poll on here as one of the top predators of chickens. This includes the owners dogs as well as neighborhood dogs allowed to run free.

My intent is to make a separate wooden 4 1/2' fence that surrounds their run, with a nice roof to boot for hawks and such. Free roaming of the yard would only be allowed of one animal at a time, I will never be so naïve as to think that they can co-exist. We will not have any low windows on the coop. I know my dogs are predators at heart and will do everything within my power to keep the Ladies safe, so do not fret!!

D.gif

Back
Top Bottom