Hoping I am doing the right thing, would like some advice. Please.

You might select one hen to single out and separate to work with along and maybe you could win her over by herself and focus on getting her broken and then let the others see that she trusts you and then let them follow the leader.
Choosing one gal to show how great a bond can be ,That is an awesome idea. So many great ideas! You are doing all the right things, The 3 T's Time-- Treats and Temperament.
I have a new gal(Maizey) that is also skittish, she was raised in a coop and never held either. She chooses to roost in the patio instead of the coop. Before I put her in the coop, I take some time to hold and pet her, she's slowly coming around.

Hate to criticize my neighbor, but I am not impressed with how he keeps his chickens either. But he's been a farmer all his life so I'm sure he knows more than I do. On the other hand, he has cattle, sheep and goats and is a busy farmer. So no doubt he has no time to be worried about petting anything! LOL Surely there has to be a middle ground somewhere between seeing animals as financial assets and me being silly and besotted with my hens?

Not taming them isn't an issue. Most of my hens are not tame (they were raised by broodies). Lots of chickens have very nice lives and good setups but are not tame.

Keeping them in small cages indoors is another matter entirely though. They don't need to be handled by humans to be happy, but grass, sunshine, and room to roam/excercise/peck around outdoors is something they should all have outside of a production grow house or commercial battery house (well those birds should have it too but that is another matter).

Last edited:
Only decent pic I have of them and it's not very good. They're skittish so I figured I would have plenty of time down the road to take better pictures.
Your ramp is way too steep, but easy fix-put a concrete block(16") under the low end.
Do it after they go to sleep tonight so as not to freak them out.

I have found that the best way for me to "tame a wild" chicken is to spread a beach towel in the run and read a book. I ignore them and they come. Lol. Spread a little of their scratch or feed around you. It may take several days or even weeks to get them to trust you.
As far as getting them to explore the run, most chickens are scared of change. They take forever to adjust. Eventually they will began to explore.
Once they start exploring the run you can try the "beach towel method of making friends".
Good luck and happy chicken keeping.

As someone who usually bought ready-to-lay pullets from the hatchery, I understand completely why you would be so concerned about how freaked out and skittish they are. They usually don't take very long to settle into the idea of having room to stretch their legs and a good bit of dirt to scratch and roll in. Just a bit of warning though, its entirely up to the individual bird whether or not they'll be truly 'tame' after they come around to the understanding that people bring awesome goodies. Some might continue to keep their distance, some might become lap birds, it all depends on them, but they will stop panicking after a bit.

Be patient! Spend time with them quietly. Theyll come around! But, it will take time!
What breed are they? Some breeds are just flighty.
I have no idea what they are. Asked my neighbor who gave them to me and he didn't know. I believe the white one is a leghorn? Maybe? She's low man on the totem pole and the other hens bully her a bit. But she seems to be the most receptive so far.

I have no idea what they are. Asked my neighbor who gave them to me and he didn't know. I believe the white one is a leghorn? Maybe? She's low man on the totem pole and the other hens bully her a bit. But she seems to be the most receptive so far.
Got any photos?
We can help identify the breed, and I'd like to meet them.

Give them more time but realize they probably won't ever be like the super tame chickens you imagined having. They will eventually get used to going outside but it may take several weeks. Next spring get some young chicks to add to the flock and tame them starting that first week. Try to get breeds that are known to be very friendly when you buy chicks so you will have a few very friendly birds in the flock (i.e. Buff Orpingtons, Cochins, maybe even bantams).

It sounds like these birds were kept in sub-standard conditions but realize most birds won't be all that tame unless they were raised that way from hatch, so even if you bought birds form someone that had a lovely large free range setup they would still be pretty wild/untouchable in many cases.
Hate to criticize my neighbor, but I am not impressed with how he keeps his chickens either. But he's been a farmer all his life so I'm sure he knows more than I do. On the other hand, he has cattle, sheep and goats and is a busy farmer. So no doubt he has no time to be worried about petting anything! LOL Surely there has to be a middle ground somewhere between seeing animals as financial assets and me being silly and besotted with my hens?

Got any photos?
We can help identify the breed, and I'd like to meet them.
Only decent pic I have of them and it's not very good. They're skittish so I figured I would have plenty of time down the road to take better pictures.

Attachments

• Resized_20200807_135133.jpeg
    Resized_20200807_135133.jpeg
    728 KB · Views: 22

Back
Top Bottom