Hoping I am doing the right thing, would like some advice. Please.

Hate to criticize my neighbor, but I am not impressed with how he keeps his chickens either. But he's been a farmer all his life so I'm sure he knows more than I do. On the other hand, he has cattle, sheep and goats and is a busy farmer. So no doubt he has no time to be worried about petting anything! LOL Surely there has to be a middle ground somewhere between seeing animals as financial assets and me being silly and besotted with my hens?
Hhhhmmmmm.... been around old farmers my whole life, never seen one who keeps their birds in cages. I would dearly love to meet this man to see his reasons. All the old farmers around here (my family included) thought I was silly for having a run :) Mostly, their birds free range, and they lock them up at night. I'm sure he is totally sweet, but his chicken methods have me wondering. You are not being silly or ridiculous. You are being a careful owner. You need to have some sort of relationship with your livestock to get in there and work with them....period! Dont take his animal raising methods as normal.... many of us who have larger animals build relationships with ALL our stock.

Back
Top Bottom